New from Iowa!!
I have started researching hiking with pack goats. I want to lose weight and looking to have a couple goats as walking/hiking companions. I will be getting my first two goat kids soon, and they will be raised to be pack goats. A Oberhasli and LaMancha.

Anyone else in Iowa use pack goats? I was sad to hear that my local state park doesnt allow goats, said people wouldnt understand them nd think they would give off disease etc?? Huh?

So am looking for other areas to use pack goats.
Welcome! I'm glad you found us. I'm sorry to hear about your local state park. I wonder if you could get that changed. If you get your goats out to meet people in public places, you'll find that public support will be overwhelmingly on your side. You and your goats could be a catalyst for change in your area. Wink
Welcome!
Generally its only the National Parks that dont like animals (including horses and dogs and such).

What part of Iowa are you from? I've done the RAGBRAI a couple times so I've seen a lot of the state.
Welcome!
I would ask to see the state park regulations regarding goats in writing. That seems like a poor excuse. Read the regulations it may not be a rule you heard but someones opinion.
Good luck
(03-24-2014, 09:01 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: I would ask to see the state park regulations regarding goats in writing. That seems like a poor excuse. Read the regulations it may not be a rule you heard but someones opinion.
Good luck

(03-25-2014, 12:57 PM)Curtis King Wrote:
(03-24-2014, 09:01 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: I would ask to see the state park regulations regarding goats in writing. That seems like a poor excuse. Read the regulations it may not be a rule you heard but someones opinion.
Good luck

I agree with Idaho Nancy 100%. If you get a note from your doctor you can also register your goat or goats as a therapy animal and you can take them almost anywhere. Also in most state or US Corp of engineer operated parks you can have PETS in the park on a leash. I take all six of my PET pack goats into Hood park all the time to walk and eat leaves in the fall. I had a long talk with the park ranger about their legal definition of pets on leash law. Yep. I won.
Thanks, I have emailed them for a written regulations on what animals are allowed in park. As I was only told that by the DNR person from park.

So if it says pet on leash, a goat will be allowed?

I am in Waterloo, IA and the park is George Wyth state park.

I found while googling this statement "Livestock are not permitted to roam or graze in state parks and recreational areas". This is a iowa legal page

https://db.tt/7zhrzJKc
Ok this is what they sent me.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Recreation/Campin...rPets.aspx

So would goats we considered privately owned animals? And as long as they are on 6' leash be allowed in park?
(03-26-2014, 10:22 AM)craftEcowgirl Wrote: Ok this is what they sent me.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Recreation/Campin...rPets.aspx

So would goats we considered privately owned animals? And as long as they are on 6' leash be allowed in park?

Ok I read the Iowa state regulations you sent with the post. Goats are not equine and would not apply to the definition they provided. Your goat is a private animal by legal definition. As long as you have your goat or goats on the six foot lead your good to go girl. As for the grazing definition just don't let them eat the bark on trees and try to keep them from eating shrubs and landscaping growth. I live in Washington a very liberal state. The park ranger in my park described goats eating leaves that naturally fall from a tree as clean up and not grazing. Enjoy your goats

"Long Live The Pack Goat"

Curtis King