2014 NAPgA Rendy
(03-30-2014, 02:44 PM)Jake Levi Wrote: Re: the campground....

is there obsidian there, and if so are campers allowed to take any with them???

It makes really beautiful arrowheads. Sharp suckers too !

Jake
There is obsidian along the trails but most is up on the trails within the crater. There is one trail that borders a large obsidian flow. They prefer hikers don't take obsidian from the flow but there are places you can go to get it. There is a place north of Madras along hwy 97 called Richardson Ranch that people can find thundereggs and obsidian by the bucketful. On occasion I have found obsidian bird points and broken spear points when out riding or hunting.
[i]
Charlene in Central Orego
n
[/i]
(03-30-2014, 06:17 PM)deschutes dawn Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 02:44 PM)Jake Levi Wrote: Re: the campground....

is there obsidian there, and if so are campers allowed to take any with them???

It makes really beautiful arrowheads. Sharp suckers too !

Jake
There is obsidian along the trails but most is up on the trails within the crater. There is one trail that borders a large obsidian flow. They prefer hikers don't take obsidian from the flow but there are places you can go to get it. There is a place north of Madras along hwy 97 called Richardson Ranch that people can find thundereggs and obsidian by the bucketful. On occasion I have found obsidian bird points and broken spear points when out riding or hunting.

I would love to find some suitable for points, a couple dozens worth. It might be well worth it after the Rendy to go on to Richardson Ranch.

Jake

Mikado, MI
I'll try to get info for you for places around CO that you can look for it. New spot for everyone to go to get info on Central Oregon in general. Also the CO Ale Trail.

www.VisitCentralOregon.com

All sorts of info from camping, hiking and fishing to night life and spas.

Jake, I just found a couple of places for you to check.

www.richardsonrockranch.com
www.visitbend.com

You can get a rockhounding Central Oregon map from the visit Bend site and Richardson Ranch has info about their 4000 acres of search area.
[i]
n
[/i]
(04-01-2014, 10:38 AM)deschutes dawn Wrote: I'll try to get info for you for places around CO that you can look for it. New spot for everyone to go to get info on Central Oregon in general. Also the CO Ale Trail.

www.VisitCentralOregon.com

All sorts of info from camping, hiking and fishing to night life and spas.

Jake, I just found a couple of places for you to check.

www.richardsonrockranch.com
www.visitbend.com

You can get a rockhounding Central Oregon map from the visit Bend site and Richardson Ranch has info about their 4000 acres of search area.

Hiya

The Richardson prices on Obsidian make it look worthwhile just to go to their shop, I dont want/need a whole lot of it. Thanks, its appreciated. The map seems like a good idea too.

Much to do out there for sure !

Jake

Another line of thought, I havfent read anything yet on the Rendy auction . Silent or a called one? Myself I much prefer the called kind. Silent ones dont bring enough, and its too easy to miss out on an item.

Just a thought on this.

Jake

Mikado, MI
I don't have any info on the auction. I'm waiting for some info from Larry but he's incredibly busy. Sooooo-does anyone have information I could use? I've got the basics handled but need guidance on the "particulars". If I need to get an auctioneer I definitely have to start looking now. Plus, who rounds up all the auction goodies? I can get COGA to help me with that but I need to know now. We've got our Goat Jamboree in May then we can as a group put energy towards NAPgA.
[i]
n
[/i]
(04-02-2014, 09:03 PM)deschutes dawn Wrote: I don't have any info on the auction. I'm waiting for some info from Larry but he's incredibly busy. Sooooo-does anyone have information I could use? I've got the basics handled but need guidance on the "particulars". If I need to get an auctioneer I definitely have to start looking now. Plus, who rounds up all the auction goodies? I can get COGA to help me with that but I need to know now. We've got our Goat Jamboree in May then we can as a group put energy towards NAPgA.

As for an auctioneer its often fun to just pass the honors around, it often gives some real surprises. If its made known that an auction will be held that is a big part of it right there. I hope there are some goats brought for it, I am for sure going to want to add a couple more this year whether kids or adults. The live goat offering is what I have heard critisizing of. Having a silent auction rarely makes friends.

As a farmer who has bought and sold livestock at auctions I would never ever consign to a silent auction.

Jake

Mikado, MI
FWIW, I will help out all that I can. On the needs plus helping at the auction which I hope will be.

I got serious this morn on mileage etc, from home to Bend is 2322.89 miles. The northern route across into WA and then south. Looks like the better part of a week, my 1,000 mile days are long over. Besides will have at least two goats and a pup . So we will make a 'leisurely' 4-500 miles a day. After the Rendy is tourista time. Looking at SE Wa, Northern ID and down through. I really want to take another look at the Clearwater, ID area, some rivers there that I got real wet and cold doing stream surveys in. Wondering if a big brown bear that liked to watch us is still around. I doubt it, he was getting some age on him then, but he gave me real good feelings about Browns. He was a daiily addition to our routines.

If anyone is coming farther I will have some Jamesons for you. We'll need it LOL!

Jake

Mikado, MI
S.E. Washington is my red neck of the woods Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Jake, that's cool you're touring around to find a place to settle. Phil and I spent about 2-3 weeks each year in 2004-2006 driving all over the west to figure out where we would like to put down roots. We loved a lot of the country around Idaho and Oregon, but we eventually settled on Colorado as the best fit for us. Good luck on your adventure!

Charlene, if you know an auctioneer who would volunteer his time that would be great, but there's no need to pay for one. Our saddle club holds an auction every year, and we just have one or two of the club members call it. It's not super-fast like the professionals, but just as effective and just as fun.
The Central Oregon chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation has a live and silent auction at our banquet coming up in a week. The fellow that does the live auction is a trained auctioneer but is currently one of the lead honchos at Bowtech in Eugene. I will try to talk with him at the banquet to see if he knows anyone that would volunteer to help. Hopefully he will remember me from when I was a target archer and was sponsored by Martin Archery.
[i]
n
[/i]