Hello from a newb in MT.
Hi all, just wanted to say "HI!" & introduce myself & my goats. I live in central Montana, & have always taken my goats on hikes, but I am pretty new to goat packing.  I'm a member of NAPgA, & am so glad I found them.  The other members are so helpful & nice, & I've learned so much from them in just the past few months.  

My yearling Boer/Alpine wether, Eugene, has been carrying one of my old dog backpacks (empty) for about a year & just got his first real pack saddle & is now getting accustomed to it, & my young Boer/LaMancha doeling, Lenina, has just started wearing a smaller dog backpack to get used to having something on her back.   

I lost my beloved LaMancha Moses a few months ago, so I might be looking to add a new goat or two in the near future, if I find some good ones close by.  

I hike/camp with the goats on private property owned by the ranch I work for, so I haven't had issues with public land use, but I'm trying to keep up with it all because I'd like to extend where I take the goats on future adventures.   Big Grin

Nice "meeting" you,

Anastasia (& Eugene, Lenina, & the rest of the menagerie) 

Lenina:

Eugene:

Hello and welcome! Good looking crew you've got there! I'm sorry it too so long for me to approve your post. I was showing goats at the state fair today and only just now checked the forums.

I'm sorry you lost your friend Moses recently. I hope your youngsters live up to his legacy.
Hehe your goat looks a lot like my goat, Woodstock. Welcome to the board.

I wonder-- How comfortable are you hiking with goats in Montana, what with the predators? Do you think they'd leave you alone for the most part?
(09-04-2016, 07:04 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Hehe your goat looks a lot like my goat, Woodstock.  Welcome to the board.

I wonder-- How comfortable are you hiking with goats in Montana, what with the predators?  Do  you think they'd leave you alone for the most part?

Thanks, Charlie Horse.  

I mostly hike on the ranch, I'm always armed, & sometimes carry bear spray if I'm going into the timber.  Also, I usually have at least 1 dog, usually 3 or 4 dogs on the hike as well as the goats.  They all have bells on their collars, & stay pretty close to me.  One of the dogs is a young Pyranees cross pup that I basically have raised with the goats since I got her at 10 weeks old, & she really is bonded to the goats.  She stays close to them when they're out browsing, & I think she'll be a really good guardian when she's full grown. 

I've only encountered a bear while exploring with the goats here, & luckily, it was about 1/3 mile away from us, & hadn't seen/smelled/heard us, so I headed in another direction around him to get back home.     

I'm told that there are mountain lions, wolves, bobcats, etc. here in this area, but luckily, haven't run into any yet.   Coyotes are everywhere, & if they're close to the goats (or calves, chickens, etc...) they are dispatched.    Haven't had any try anything while I was with the goats walking,  & until my guard dog is older & able to handle trouble, I keep them locked up in the barn at night.  

These 2 grew up together & are very, very close....& adorable.  They're both around 6 months old now.

(09-03-2016, 10:45 PM)Nanno Wrote: Hello and welcome! Good looking crew you've got there! I'm sorry it too so long for me to approve your post. I was showing goats at the state fair today and only just now checked the forums.

I'm sorry you lost your friend Moses recently. I hope your youngsters live up to his legacy.

Thank you for your kind words.  No worries on the approval.  I know how it goes.     Big Grin
MosesBrowning
Hello and Welcome to PGC
I am on the other side of the country from you.
But in a lot of ways as Isolated as you are up there.
As far as goats go about the only goat activity here is County Fairs/Dairy Show goats or Meat goats.
Neither of which I have any desire to do, Got burned out Showing horses years ago.
I used to breed horses, and just got into Smile goats a year ago. But NOT going to breed them. no way no how.
Read my post here about "Stowaway Goats" and then follow on with the "Truck Chasing Goats" thread.
The later is a on going farm/expedition experience line about living with goats and using them.
South Carolina is very different than your neck of the woodsSmile
More People on the trails,Dogs, Not much worry about predatory animals.
I do carry fixes for both when on walkabout.
I think the worst 4 legged I could run into here would be feral hog. Especially a sow with piglets.
I have a old Labrador that the goats "Tolerate" around them, but when something strange happens they come running to Boss goat for protection. (Me) Yes, all 4 are well "Bonded Wethers"
Try getting a good pistol shot off with a couple 150# goats around your legs.
Have done it, but I have more than normal firearms experience.
My goats when I practice with a pistol on my range stand 25 feet behind the firing line with the look on their face "Your Messing up our lunch of brush." Smile
You have a good looking goat and pup there.
Last item: We do have a about Horses Thread  Nothing fancy just horses some of us use and  have experience with.

Happy Trails
Welcome to the Trail
hihobaron Blizzard,Fuzzy,Pete, Sam and the Troops in South Carolina.

.jpg   MSP Best Stars and Bars Al.jpg (Size: 3.01 KB / Downloads: 28)
Big Grin 
Thanks for the kind words, Hihobaron.  I spent some time in the southeast a few years ago, so I know how crowded (with people...not  mountain lions)   Big Grin  it is down there.  Feral hogs were all over the place though.  I remember having a few close calls with them on my motorcycle on  some backroads in central Florida.  

As for the horses, I use them to work cattle here & at friend's ranches close by.  I don't do any shows.  I'll check out that "horses" thread.  

I'm pretty proficient with my sidearm too, & my goats & horses are all pretty immune to the noise now.  The silly goats actually follow me over to my little "practice range" behind the house & don't leave when I start shooting.  In fact, they start to lean on me, follow me around while I do drills, & eventually get bored & try to pick up brass that I've missed (which I stop them from doing).  LOL. 

Nice "meeting" you.   Cool
Hello MB
I used to Team Pen and do Cowboy Mounted Shooting
Still have the Horses that I did that with.
Team Penning I used my Arabian Stallion he Loved chasing calves. RIP
This was when people with backyard horses would get together just for fun no money involved.
I currently have a son of his and a son of the Paint Stallion I stood.
The Paint stallion was so slow it took a full 5 rounds off his back to get him into a trot.Sad
I have a Hereford free-martin I am growing out for meat. Around the first of the year I'll have some good steak. Smile
Grass fed/pasture/hay.
I like my revolvers and lever/bolt action guns so I know were the brass goes. I reload everything
Goats do not do good when they eat brass. Smile
Happy Trails
hihobaron and the Troops in South Carolina