Tahr hunting with pack goats
Photo 
    Hi All, took the Goats out for a Tahr hunt last weekend and managed to get a nice bull. The goats went very well. my main concern is they seem to stop eating while in the mountains, I take some goat nuts for them but they seem to find very little in grazing at this time of year. The Tahr and deer don't seem to have any problems but tha'ts there habitat. Any advise would be appreciated. I'm concerned how they will go when out for longer periods in the hills.

If you dont wanna pack in food for them, then you have to be selective in your hunting area / base camp. No way around it.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(08-27-2016, 05:08 PM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: If you dont wanna pack in food for them, then you have to be selective in your hunting area / base camp. No way around it.

They love the mixed grain pellets I give them as a treat, but how much is safe to feed for a hard working goat get in the hill ?
Nice hunt! Congratulations on your success!

For feeding on the trail in winter: can you try a roughage-based pellet or a complete feed? I'm not sure what is available in your country, but in my area I can buy alfalfa pellets, timothy hay pellets, or alfalfa/timothy mix pellets. There are also a lot of "complete feed" pellets manufactured for old horses who can't chew hay. Roughage-based pellets are much better than grain-based pellets for what you're doing. Grain is more of a supplement than an actual feed. Look in the senior horse section of your feed store and see what's available.
(08-27-2016, 07:53 PM)Nanno Wrote: Nice hunt! Congratulations on your success!

For feeding on the trail in winter: can you try a roughage-based pellet or a complete feed? I'm not sure what is available in your country, but in my area I can buy alfalfa pellets, timothy hay pellets, or alfalfa/timothy mix pellets. There are also a lot of "complete feed" pellets manufactured for old horses who can't chew hay. Roughage-based pellets are much better than grain-based pellets for what you're doing. Grain is more of a supplement than an actual feed. Look in the senior horse section of your feed store and see what's available.

Thats some great advise, Ill get on to that right away and see whats about. thanks.
Alfalfa pellets is what I would bring if I had to
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Very cool Tahr, way to go Rockman! Thanks for sharing!