Intro/story
I am no goat packer as of yet. I'm contented with the ideal that in the next year or less or possibly more I will acquire a goat- after I figure out a more permanent situation to return to when in Penna. I really enjoy spending time with critters- no drama, no back stabbing, no bull. I think a goat would be great for me and my dog's life style of working little and traveling and living on my uncle's 30 acres of fields and woods or even at my parent's suburban home with chickens and plenty of good natural grass and yardage to eat. Plenty for a goat to eat and to roam at either of my locations of living. I am a very active person and walk a lot, roads, woods, anywhere and so the goat would stay healthy and fit and keep his hooves worn down and get to see lots of new country and feed on a lot of good vegetation. A thread was started on a alternative traveling site I frequent about using goats for wilderness packing as most of you do and I was thinking of a road goat too.Just walking and wandering the country or where ever I am at, whether my home state or abroad. One guy on there said he had a friend that rode freight with a goat and dog. I don't think I'd be doing that, its tough enough with a dog. But, their are travelers who travel with goats. One guy said he met a trucker who seen a guy leading a goat down a highway in Washington. Goats being intelligent and trainable would be good for this lifestyle and would be extra company when alone for extended periods of time. And it would help with my romanticism of packing a critter and wandering like the old days. I believe I could fit a goat and dog into my Subaru wagon too when not on foot. Anyway's my name is L.R.- I write a lot, read a lot, draw, make lots of things, am into primitive skills and hunting and trapping a little, with all possible respect for the quarry, for food. My dog wears a pack as well. And like how I found my dog by chance and can't even remember how I came to the conclusion to get him, is how I figure I'll acquire a goat by chance. My dog I got in Amarillo, Texas, after leaving a cheap motel, at a flea market near the innards of the city, for ten bucks. my dog is a great traveler and no house dog because his first days with me were spent sleeping outside and moving. A goat will fit when I learn to slow down and really walk a lot more instead of hitching- though I think I could still get rides in small country towns and in pick up trucks. anyway's glad to be on this forum and not digging the other new one so thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Welcome to this forum and good luck with your plans.

One caveat, only: please consider buying two goats. They are herd critters and a goat the bonds too closely with humans can cause a lot of problems.

Goat and dog in the same car - wouldn't try it even with a goat that is very accustomed to the dog. Too much can go wrong although most goats are very good driving companions.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

This is your truckers' cross country-highway-walking-goat-packing guy. http://needle2square.blogspot.com/

What you'll need to look for is a goat thats 4 years old or more so he can carry weight. I'm still waiting for my crew to grow up old enough to carry. It seems like its taking forever. Also I think you'll want two goats. They're social and prefer to have a friend. . . thats a goat.

Welcome.
Well I don't know how two goats would work. I know someones had just one. The needles to square guy does, heard of a mountain guy who uses one, and atleast one would have me and my dog as company, If I raise him from young around me and my dog wouldn't that suffice? And yes I read of packing particulars to allow years of growth, he'd be a little tag along till he's ready to pack
I was just going to post that needle2square link, but Charlie Horse beat me to it!

I agree that while goats are social creatures, they can certainly learn to be happy with just people. Cuzco was very content to be an only goat, and it's taken him a lot of adjustment (and repeated application of a shock collar) to tolerate sharing Phil and I with others of his own species. He did NOT like being relegated to "livestock status" where he had to live in a pen away from the house, was not allowed to have the run of the porch, and had to regularly chase other goats out of "his" shed. Cuzco loved it when I took the others away to State Fair last fall. I'd forgotten how mellow and personable he could be. As soon as everyone came back, so did his cranky, confrontational attitude. He's had minor attitude problems his whole life, but it was never a constant battle and no downright menacing behavior until we got other goats. It's a good thing he's gotten too old to rear up any more! So yeah, a goat can definitely learn to thrive on being the only one. Just watch out if you decide to change that in his old age--he'll punish you for it! Big Grin
Good luck with this, I agree though, get 2, or more. Not a whole lot more to do then with one, and they will learn to string out when going down a road, pick out the dominant(leader) and lead it, and the others will line out behind. With three you can have a nice campsight, even one of the small tipis, read about them on a post below. But, with one or more goats I wouldnt even consider getting lifts, just strike out walking. Where are you based?

Jake

Mikado, MI
I am in the great state of Pennsylvania. And a good tarp or mild spring night with just a bag and dog will suffice for a comfortable camp for me. Though a more permanent site with stove and tipi would be awesome
(02-27-2014, 08:51 AM)Jake Levi Wrote: Good luck with this, I agree though, get 2, or more. Not a whole lot more to do then with one, and they will learn to string out when going down a road, pick out the dominant(leader) and lead it, and the others will line out behind. With three you can have a nice campsight, even one of the small tipis, read about them on a post below. But, with one or more goats I wouldnt even consider getting lifts, just strike out walking. Where are you based?
emailed another road traveler who agreed that one goat could be a a pain. can I get a few good and bads of a single goat with just me and my dog as his or her herd?
(03-04-2014, 05:43 PM)Wordman Wrote: emailed another road traveler who agreed that one goat could be a a pain. can I get a few good and bads of a single goat with just me and my dog as his or her herd?

Unless you hand raise a single, as with a bottle it will lack the bonding you would want, some will differ with this but from my own experience with dairy goats in Israel two will bond together, and follow you as the herd leader. If you hand raise the two , bottle feeding together you will have the best of all worlds. They will spread out a bit when camping but wherever you are is the center of their world. Lots of fun can be had with a single, but more with a pair and the overal relationship will be much better.

Just my opinion here, based on my experience. Goats are herd animals, and two together with you as leader fullfills that. The dog is just another part of their world, but not part of the herd. At best it is a
tolerated predator that you protect them from. You will always have exceptions but I havent personally seen them. Unless, the dog was there at birth and the kid bonded then with it.

Do as you wish, you will probably enjoy the one, but you will get more 'worry freeness' with two.

My two cents, before inflation.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Thank you sir for the tips and info.
I still have a bit to think and decide. I'm trying to move forward with my life and a goat would be a good edition to my single life and animal family. I definitely wouldn't want one that would be alone and not adjust well to life with just me and a dog. . . So with one you have a bigger possibility of it not behaving or sticking with me and the dog?