Hoof re-reshaping
Trimmed the new goats back hooves today. Whew, they needed a lot of work, but w got them back into good form and I think he will feel better on tomorrows hike. He became impatient, but help from a friend and a bucket of grain kept him focused on something else. It was more of re-shaping than trim.
Glad I have a clean slate to work with for future trimmings.
dutch007
Hello Dutch
Glad you got him trimmed.
Suggestion: If he was that out of shape and you trimmed them back that much at one time.
I trim horses myself, and would never "Expect" a fresh trimmed horse to work much for a few days.
If you had to "Reshape" the foot. Give him at least a couple days to get used to the new "Feel" and angle of his feet.
A walkabout on grass if you want to is ok but no miles or weight on him for a few days.
The whole lower leg and joint angles have to have time to re-adjust to the new angles caused by trimming.
Note: He will adjust the angles himself by pawing on a "Abrasive surface" like rock/concrete over a couple days time.
To were "HE" feels comfortable. Next time look at how he is wearing and angles of the pastern/fetlock keep them the same. Just trim the over growth and leave the angles the same.
Happy Trails
hihobarn and the Troops in South Carolina
(05-16-2016, 05:38 PM)hihobaron Wrote: dutch007
Hello Dutch
Glad you got him trimmed.
Suggestion: If he was that out of shape and you trimmed them back that much at one time.
I trim horses myself, and would never "Expect" a fresh trimmed horse to work much for a few days.
If you had to "Reshape" the foot. Give him at least a couple days to get used to the new "Feel" and angle of his feet.
A walkabout on grass if you want to is ok but no miles or weight on him for a few days.
The whole lower leg and joint angles have to have time to re-adjust to the new angles caused by trimming.
Note: He will adjust the angles himself by pawing on a "Abrasive surface" like rock/concrete over a couple days time.
To were "HE" feels comfortable. Next time look at how he is wearing and angles of the pastern/fetlock keep them the same. Just trim the over growth and leave the angles the same.
Happy Trails
hihobarn and the Troops in South Carolina

Thanks for the info. It's funny you me him pawing the ground. It's the first thing he did when I untied him and turned him loose. His hooves look like new now. You could tell he was feeling the difference. It's the same as you or I getting a new pair of shoes. A persons biomechanics change with different footwear. He isn't coming on tomorrows hike. It will be 15+ miles. A little too long for our first real hike. He tested negative for CL, the rest of his results should be back tomorrow. He is ready to be out of quarantine and the other boys are ready to meet him face to face.
dutch007
Good Decision, Not trailing him especially that far.
So you have good news all around.
Happy Trails
Glad my info helped.
hihobaron and the troops in South Carolina