Training an Adult Goat
Does anyone have advise on training adult goats? I am new to goat packing, and this spring I got a pregnant doe (alpine saanen cross) who has a really calm, gentle temperament. My original plan was to only train her kid (who arrived mid April), but after getting to know her I think she would be a good pack goat also if I could train her properly. Elsie, the doe is about a year and a half old. Is that still young enough that training her sooner rather than later would make a difference? Are there any particular techniques that will make basic things like leading easier for her to grasp? Also, if it is best to start teaching her asap, should I do that separately from her kid or is there a good way to manage 2 beginners at once? I have walked Elsie a little around the yard and up the road, and she does OK, but if she sees something interesting she will stop and pull on the leash. Would that change if I took her to an unfamiliar place? Or is that not a smart idea just yet?
If a goat is not easy to lead, try one of the goat halters. With a halter they cant really pull the way they do with a collar.

Here's the thing-- Goats come with training right from the factory. I wouldnt worry at all about training an older goat so long as it loves people. It'll follow. Its even easier if more experienced goats are there to show what to do. I have some that take to packing no problem. I have one that freaks about the packs for a few minutes at first. He'll get over it-- He hasnt been out with packs enough yet to understand that packs=fun. The thing though is that goats just want to follow their leader and stay with the herd so even an untame goat will follow with you if you bring other goats.
Hello,

welcome to goatpacking.

first, 1,5 years isn't too old to start training. Depending on her size you more or less have two more years before she's big enough and mature enough (bone growth plates closed) before you can consider putting weight in her anyway.

Leading is the art of teaching the goat to give into pressure not pull away. She has learned the pull away already so that would be your first thing to teach her.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

AcanthaRose
Hello and welcome to world of crazy goats. and crazy goat people. Smile
The above post all are good ideas.
My experience with 38 years of equine training and what I am using on my goats here  in SC is what I have used to train foals. It seems to work on goats ,Equine Training. I use the tug and and release method, on foals to teach them to learn to give to pressure, as soon as they take one step, pressure goes OFF, reassure them and ask for another step.
With goats you have their STRONG herd instinct , IF you are Lead Goat they will follow on were you go. Some times to much so. Smile Try to get something done and you have goat "HELPING"
DEFINITELY, take the kid with you when you go walkabout  otherwise you will create a situation were the nanny is more worried about her kid than learning manners.
If the 2 you have are all you are going to have!!!!!
Warning: Goats are like Potato chips, YOU can not stop with just one."
I just added #4 to the herd here yesterday. 2 young bucklings born in March from Alpine X Saanen lines and the two OLD boy's that are better known as the Stowaway Goats, Pete and Sam Alpine X Nubian.
=====================
Pete and Sam came to me well handled and socialized.With people. Pete is 5 years old and I have already used horse "De-spooking " methods on Him and Sam to get them used to having something on them. Sam is only coming up on 2 years old so no weight on him for a couple years more. The white boy's are a good 4 years out for packing.

Pete will have to carry the load for our "Expeditions" for now. But all the troops will get trail experience together.

Look at "Truck Chasing Goats" thread here for the ongoing story of Fuzzy, Pete ,Sam, and no name.
 Have fun with your goats
hihobaron and the Troops in South Carolina

.jpg   OK a good one call off the but head Squad.JPG (Size: 77.09 KB / Downloads: 78)
Oh definitely bring the kid! Then you can train both at once and do less work. Go places where you don't have to worry about traffic so you don't have to hold onto both. The kid will follow his mama. Kids watch what their moms do, so if you teach your mama to follow you, the kid will think it's only natural for goats to follow people and do likewise. Once your kid is old enough you can hook him to his mom's collar and start leading them along roads so they get used to traffic. The main things is to make sure the kid is big and strong enough that his neck won't be injured when he gets pulled by the collar, and that he's heavy enough that his mother can't accidentally pull him over and drag him if she were to spook or something.
Thanks for the advice and encouragment! I took both Elsie and Liese (her kid) on a short walk this afternoon, and Elsie responded really well to the tug and release exercise. I am going to get her a halter, or maybe try to make it, especially since there don't seem to be halters small enough to fit Liesel and I want her to to get used to one. Hopefully that will also help.
Sopris makes a halter small enough for her: http://www.soprisgoats.com/goatx.html
Their Size 1 fits weanling to yearling Pygmies. My Alpine does use a size 3.
Welcome to the forum AcanthaRose. You will find lots of useful advice from goat-mad people here! I do like "Liesel" as a name for a goat and would love to see some photos of your goaties when you get a chance.
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
Here are a few photos. The first one is an hour or so after Liesel was born and the second one is Liesel and I at the farmer's market.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-13-2016, 08:29 PM)Nanno Wrote: Sopris makes a halter small enough for her: http://www.soprisgoats.com/goatx.html
Their Size 1 fits weanling to yearling Pygmies. My Alpine does use a size 3.

Thanks! I will check it out.