Picked up another goat!
I decided to take a chance on the 6yr old packer that was on craigslist. To the best of my knowledge he was in good health, but the 
blood panel will tell. It was an instant bond (I had crackers) and he is now in quarantine  and goes in for testing tomorrow. Not sure 
what the options are if he is positive for CAE? Seeings how I'm a couple years out from packing with my younger kids, I'm pumped 
to be packing as soon as his blood work results come back and I trim his hooves. Elk and deer scouting game changer.
Congratulations Dutch! Pictures, pictures!
Goatberries Happen!
Bleh he'll be fine.

You're lucky. Its taken me 4 years to finally have 1 (one) pack goat thats old enough. Next year I have 2 (two) more that'll be old enough, though 1 (one) of those has a problem that may or may not be serious. Next goat is 3 (three) years from being ready to pack weight. I have some girl goats but they're not really going to be carrying too much weight. They could still carry though.
Congratulations! Chances are he's in great health and the quarantine is just a precaution. I think you're going to have a great time!
Hello Dutch
Sounds like you made a good choice, sounds like a nice goat.
Are you getting any pack equipment with him?
Anything "Extra" I may be interested in. Smile
RE:Elk and Deer hunting out your way to camp out takes more than one goat load.
You have the young stock you said, but do not load them heavy. 2 years old by the season 10 pounds or less MAX each.
It is the same as me here with horses 5-6 years before I do any "Hard" work with them. Training Before that YES.
But no real work.
Congratulations

.jpg   See we have rocks to climb here too.JPG (Size: 64.89 KB / Downloads: 50)

Happy Trails
hihobaron Fuzzy,Pete and Sam
(05-09-2016, 06:34 PM)hihobaron Wrote: Hello Dutch
You have the young stock you said, but do not load them heavy. 2 years old by the season 10 pounds or less MAX each.
It is the same as me here with horses 5-6 years before I do any "Hard" work with them. Training Before that YES.
But no real work.
Congratulations

Happy Trails

Yeah, i know I need more goats to pack elk. I will continue packing elk on my back like I have for years until I have the goat power to do it, but even then if they are not with me and I can have it out quicker if I throw it on my back, I will go that route. Hopefully I will have one with me to carry my gear so my pack is empty and he can carry some meat on subsiquent trips
(05-09-2016, 06:34 PM)hihobaron Wrote: Hello Dutch
But no real work.
Congratulations

Happy Trails

In regards to packing camp, I use lightweight gear from a company called Kifaru. Shelter, titanium wood stove, sleeping bag, pad, freeze dried meals from "heather's choice," a few extra clothes and I'm still under 15lb. My whole sleep system is at 5lb including wood stove. Kifaru makes great products
Seeing how its just the one, go ahead and draw enough blood for the full bio screen. That will cover CAE/CL/Johnes.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
dutch007
Hello Dutch
I have seen some of the Kifaru products. They look good.
For myself and from past camping experience with the ability to use a pack horse my gear load is more geared to heaver load caring capability 150 pounds each horse.
For now with my boy's here it will more for "Walkabout work" or a simple weekend camp out.
IT will be much more of Pack Goat PR to the "City Folk" around here for my guy's than anything else.
I don't need to worry about packing Elk out here in South Carolina.
A good size White Tail will only bone out about 80 pounds of meat.
A Wild Hog about 140 pounds. BTY: Hogs here are considered a "Invasive Animal " and can be shot on site all year.
Reason: To many "Domestic" hogs have "Escaped" into the wild and cross breed with the original wild strains.
The shoot on sight order is an effort to "Clean out the hybrids" Then re-introduce more pure bloodlines.
=======================

Some thing I could see if I Push some ides here with all the public hiking trails etc, Putting together a Search and Rescue Goat powered Team. I have done S&R myself and have been in situations were the extra 25 pounds of gear a goat can pack would have made things a lot better. for example , a extra coil of climbing rope, Harness for lifting a person out. More complete medical kit, Spare Radio Water.

======================================

Have fun with your new goat.
The more things you do with him the better he will get.
Happy Trails
hihobaron Fuzzy, Pete and Sam
When scouting for deer and elk one goat will do ya. Mine will carry all the extras for safety and taking care of the meat. It allows you to have everything you need to care for the meat at the time goes down. Here we have blow flies and predators large and small that can ruin meat. We have to have high quality meat sacks, and rope to get meat up in trees. For us it is more that one trip to get meat back to camp. Meanwhile I carry all the things a person may need quickly or frequently. A cow elk boned out is 6 packs for us and a bull is 7 packs so it is nice to have more than one packgoat. Dutch you scored on that packgoat. Good job.