New Goat to the herd
I decided after a quite lengthy "meet and greet" with the potential addition and after going over him with a fine toothed comb
I decided to load him up for the long ride home. Other than a trim of the hooves he looked healthy on the outside, had good teeth 
and to the best of my knowledge was in good shape. He has a calm disposition and when we put his pack saddle on there was a clear 
change in his mindset. He was ready to go for a walk. I guess if his blood/fecal tests come back positive for CAE the only option I have 
is to send him to the butcher, but not really fond of that idea. There could be other options, but I'm uninformed on those options. I seem to have 
a problem uploading pics from my phone, so I will get some up when I get a chance.
Blood test will show CAE status. Fecal test will show any parasites he may have which will point you to which dewormer to use (if any). Good luck with your new boy! I hope you have years of fun packing ahead of you!
(05-09-2016, 06:06 PM)Nanno Wrote: Blood test will show CAE status. Fecal test will show any parasites he may have which will point you to which dewormer to use (if any). Good luck with your new boy! I hope you have years of fun packing ahead of you!

H seems to have a little clicking noise in his from legs I couldn't hear when I picked him because of being on gravel. He is not swollen and other forum posts regarding this said it happens all the time in every age range of goat and it's nothing to worry about.  I hope that is the case....
clicking in the legs is normal in goats. Some type of deer and antilope have that, too. It seems to be a way to communicate "I'm here" in a herd.

Regarding CAE there are other options, please try the search on this forum. It's a heated topic and I don't want to get bashed for my experiences with that illness again.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Clicking toes is totally normal and nothing to worry about unless it's accompanied by pain or swelling. Cuzco has been merrily clicking away (quite loudly I might add) for a good 13+ years now and he's CAE negative. Rex from Northwest Packgoats theorized that it's a form of communication so goat herds can keep together and identify one another without making louder noises that attract predators. Another person claims it is primarily demonstrated by high ranking goats in a herd and a goat that clicks will stop once another rises to the top of the pecking order. Whatever the case, I've always found the clicking to be rather fascinating.
I think it is good practice to quarantine any new goat for a time; I generally do this for 3 weeks.
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
Hello All
Any New Animal into any herd quarantine!!! If they can visually see their new herd that is fine it will help keep them from getting stressed out.. Bad.
Time frame is dependent on risk factors in your area and vet work.
Happy Trails
hihobaron and the Troops in South Carolina.