When you were.......
Thinking about this information from a total goat beginners view.....

When you were first thinking about getting packgoats what were your top questions?

If those questions have been answered what are the answers?
Goatberries Happen!
I'm working on my REI PowerPoint presentation. Could really use some feedback on this:

Thinking about this information from a total goat beginners view.....

When you were first thinking about getting packgoats what were your top questions?

If those questions have been answered what are the answers?
Goatberries Happen!
Thinking back, I think I was too clueless even to have questions! We got a goat and said, "He's awesome, let's take him everywhere and do everything!"

One question I was too clueless to ask but should have was, "Where does one find proper working goat equipment, and how do you know if it's actually good quality and fits and functions well?"
How much land did I need to own? Living on 1 acre was plenty.
What would be the best breed for if you had neighbors nearby? The goat needed to be quiet. Oberhasli
How much do the eat? 1 Ton per goat per year was the plan. They do not eat all of this.
How could I plan for hay storage?
What did packgoats need for housing. Built a 10 x 16 barn, 1/2 hay storage, 1/2 goat house.
How long do they pack if you invest 3 or 4 years in them before packing. Not long enough.
How do you feed them? "Diet for Weathers" book. Orchard grass worked best.
How do you handle 1st aid or illness. Books "Diseases of the Goat", and "Field First Aid Guide for Goats." Build a 1st aid kit that is portable. Always be prepared.
What is the best breed for me? I wanted soft colors to blend with wildlife, heat tolerant, easy water training, medium size, friendly, and generally easy going. Answer: Oberhasli - found in the books "The Pack Goat" and "Practical Goat Packing."
Packgoat gear was not an initial concern but when it was I called Northwest Packgoats.
Thanks Nanno & Nancy. I appreciate the feedback.
Goatberries Happen!
Hello Taffy
Here is my take on things for your REI presentation
=================
A little background on you first. Make it humorous. Even if you have to "Stretch" the facts a little. Tell a Funny Story!!
A presentation that is fun to watch/listen to is better than just "Dry" facts presentation.
Of course you are going to have goats there, right?? If so they will keep the presentation anything but "DRY" Smile
Do a program outline and go through it 20 times at home, Memorize the topic areas you are going to hit. You will not be able to have card notes/cue cards.
You will have to keep eye contact with the people as well as control your goats.
========================================
Work from your outline. So you don't miss a topic area.
Give Good Basic details, but do not go into "Technicality's".
Save the Tech stuff for the Q&A session at the end of the presentation were you can answer people 1 on 1.
==================================
Other option:
If this is just a walk by stop and pet the goat, talk about pack goats thing?
NOT a scheduled presentation to a "Group" at a certain time thing.
You still need to have an outline of the topics you are going to present and you need to be ready to take questions all the time.
You will be on "display the whole time you are there"
So you have to be on the ball and friendly to the public all the time. As well as your goats.
It is even worse than going to a goat show or in my case Showing Stallions in Halter Class.
You and your goat are going to be on display ALL the time and being the ONLY one there you need to be as presentable and personable as possible. I have to do the same thing every time I go walkabout on trails here.
Because I and my goats are Representing the idea of Pack Goats in a "City Folk" Environment every time we go out.
====================================================
Look at my post from yesterday when a County Sheriff showed up here (Friendly visit) and the Attack Goats kept him in his car till I called them off. Then he got out, Pet on them and ask "What do they Do. So I explained about they were  Pack Goats and could be used to carry 25-30 pounds of Search and Rescue gear each and travel into places even people have trouble getting through. He thought that was a good idea, then the goat boy's tried to carjack his squad car. Smile Bad Goats.
The above little incident could be the start of a Goat Powered S&R Unit. Smile That is what you are doing at REI.

.jpg   OK a good one call off the but head Squad.JPG (Size: 77.09 KB / Downloads: 29)

Happy Trails
hihobaron Fuzzy, Pete and Sam

BTY: Fuzzy was on the Sniper Rifle JIC things went bad Smile