It's hay season!
Late this morning, as I do at some time each day, I took the goats out to graze in one of our hay fields.  My husband and sons have mentioned they'll be turning off irrigation the end of the week so the fields can dry and they can cut 1st cutting hay.  Today I realized just how tall the hay is!

This is a lousy photo of Dude.  He actually has a nice level topline and a decently shaped head.  Dude was chewing a mouth full of grass when he looked up and back at the other goats.

He's 36" tall and you can see how high the grass is compared to him.

Also notice the irrigation pivot behind Dude.  You can't see the tires!

We get 5 cuttings a year.  We're always excited for 1st cutting and can hardly wait for 5th cutting to be done!

Goatberries Happen!
(04-19-2016, 08:27 PM)Taffy Wrote: Late this morning, as I do at some time each day, I took the goats out to graze in one of our hay fields.  My husband and sons have mentioned they'll be turning off irrigation the end of the week so the fields can dry and they can cut 1st cutting hay.  Today I realized just how tall the hay is!

This is a lousy photo of Dude.  He actually has a nice level topline and a decently shaped  head.  Dude was chewing a mouth full of grass when he looked up and back at the other goats.

He's 36" tall and you can see how high the grass is compared to him.

Also notice the irrigation pivot behind Dude.  You can't see the tires!

We get 5 cuttings a year.  We're always excited for 1st cutting and can hardly wait for 5th cutting to be done!

Hello Taffy
Looks like a good cutting and I have done hay work myself.
Goat Berries in the hay don't bother anybody? Smile
I spent most a 90 degree day napping in the shade here. Near record temp's for this time of year and dry.
Happy Trails
hihobaron Pete and Sam
My pasture is about 2 inches. The abandoned garden has weeds that are about 4 inches. The ditch has weeds that are 8 inches. Its a mystery to me that you're already even irrigating, never mind ready to cut!
Oh wow! And here we are covered in snow and the grass only just getting started!

Taffy, you should post that photo to the "celebrity goat" contest--African safari goat: "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?"
Damn Taffy! That is some stellar growth! And is it just me or is it way early for first already to be ready?
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)