Warm Spring day
Well, lots has happened since I last checked in.  We built a second section of pasture, prepping for a larger third section, planted 18 fruit trees, building a vineyard (25 concord grapes), built 2 additional chicken coops, rototilled up the new garden area, brought home 2 new baby oberhasli bottle babies, brought home a Kune Kune pig that lives with the goats and grazes on grass, and got to try on some new collars my sister made.  She has a dog collar company that started with greyhound collars and she was kind enough to send Thor and Pickles some custom collars.  Don't worry, because they are horned I don't leave them on unattended.  The doeling's name is Ginger, and the buckling's is Teancum.  Oh yeah and Pickles is due at the end of April.

My Uncle and Aunt are picking up two of the kids in a couple of weeks, theirs are de-horned.
[img][Image: herd_edited-1.jpg][/img]

This is Ginger
[img][Image: ginger_edited-1.jpg][/img]

And this is Teancum.  I think he is going to be a BIG ober!
[img][Image: IMG_2553.jpg][/img]

Thor and Pickles just turned 2 years old this month.
[img][Image: thor4_edited-1.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: pickles3_edited-1.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: IMG_2580.jpg][/img]

This is Toa, our new pig.  He is full grown, and super mellow and friendly.  Kune Kune's are a small breed from New Zealand. They have red meat, and sweet lard for rendering.  Toa is the Maori word for Warrior.  We pick up a guilt for him next week, and they will be breeding stock.  They will get to die of old age on the farm, but we plan on eating some of the offspring once they reach butcher weight.

[img][Image: toa2_edited-1.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: toa3_edited-1.jpg][/img]
Hello Nebs
Good looking troops and you have been busy.!!!
RE: PIG's !!! a Boar, and getting a Sow be careful they get nasty during breeding season as well as when they have piglets.
All pigs love to root up turf, they will mess up your grass big time.
Pigs will also eat a live animal. (Goat Kids)
Story Time: Back During the Prohibition ERA.
The Mobsters of Chicago would use the Chicago Stock Yards to "Dispose" of the body by throwing them in the pig pens.
Pig's due to be slaughtered ate the "Evidence"
Down here in SC the same time period Pig's were the Moonshiner's best friend as they used the "Spent" corn mash out of the still's to feed them "Happy Pigs" Smile
I like pork in every way but do not want to have the pig's around.

Good Luck
Be Careful
Happy Easter
hihobaron Pete and Sam
What a lovely crew! Your two-year-olds are sure looking handsome. I can't wait to see pictures of Pickles' babies next month!
Thanks. Hihobaron, no need to worry these pigs don't pose a threat like regular pigs. I grew up raising meat pigs for the fair and agree with those concerns. Kune Kune's aren't like traditional breeds, which is why we have them. Even boars and sows with piglets are very docile. But all mommas get separated before having babies, so they can all have a little peace and quiet from the rest of the herd.
I can't wait to see what Pickles has too. She didn't take the first couple tries, but the third time was the charm for her. I will post lots of pics!
(03-27-2016, 12:01 PM)nebs Wrote: Thanks.  Hihobaron, no need to worry these pigs don't pose a threat like regular pigs.  I grew up raising meat pigs for the fair and agree with those concerns.  Kune Kune's aren't like traditional breeds, which is why we have them.  Even boars and sows with piglets are very docile.  But all mommas get separated before having babies, so they can all have a little peace and quiet from the rest of the herd.
Hello nebs
Glad you have pig experience.
I have a couple friends that want to get pigs. They are looking at "Normal" bloodlines.
I'll pass the info along on the breed you have to them.
Happy Easter
Eat More Pork
hihobaron Pete and Sam