What do do with scurs?
Hello Nanno and All
A couple things I would like to ask ya'll.
Scurs: What is the best way to deal with them?
Can they be just cut back? Trimmed like a foot?
Or like a horn do they have a blood supply in them.
I know when I got Pete he had the same one growing and his owner just pulled it off and put some blood stop on it and it was fine. But it has grown back now. But you can "wiggle it around"
Sam has 2 scurs that are growing back flat along the top of his head. Not digging in but I am concerned in time they might.?
Suggestions? Vet work or can I trim them myself?
Advice appreciated.
hihobaron Pete and Sam
Its going to break off on its own sooner or later. Or you can do it. Goats hate it though, when you fiddle with the horns. No blood supply by the sound of it, but the root/pad that the horn grows from will always bleed when the scur comes off. Shelby loses these cap-like scurs now and then and its kinda grody for a few days. He's been head-shy his whole life because of that, I think. Like a crab with a freshly shed shell doesnt want any trouble.
Some goats' scurs are too big to fall off on their own, and yes, some can even grow into their heads. I had a friend whose wether had such a large, inward-growing scur that she had to cut it with a wire saw. However, most are not that serious and will either fall off on their own or you can trim them yourself. They'll probably bleed a bit but not to worry. A little blood stop powder is all you need. Probably the best tool I've used for trimming scurs is a pair of hoof nippers. My hoof nippers are full size and a bit awkward. A smaller pair would be perfect. I've yet to have any goats with "problem" scurs, but if I did I'd invest in a small pair of nippers just for that job. As Charlie Horse said, goats don't like having their scurs messed with, so it's nice to have a good, handy tool for getting the job done quickly. If you don't have a stanchion, the best way to hold them still is to straddle them and clamp their neck between your knees. If they're too big for that you can snub them up short to a fence post using a halter.
Thanks all for the info Nanno and CH
The boys will let me scratch between then Sam especially will "Lean into you to get a good scratch around them.
Pete's being noticeably, and I know it was just "Wiggled off before and there was some bleeding, nothing major.
Sam's are the ones I am more worried about as he has 2 that are the same shape one from each horn bud area and they seem to be rather solidly attached and much bigger than Per's Unicorn one. I have a full set of farrier tools here both large and small nippers.
Also a assortment of power saws,grinders,and chain saws. Smile
We are supposed to be getting more rain here for the next couple days and slightly above normal temps.
I will wait till we have dry weather before I start cutting on the boy's scurs.
Happy Trails
Thanks
hihobaron Pete and Sam
P.S. I am going to tell them after the deed is done Pack Goat Central made me do it Smile
Two kinds of scurs. The kind that move that dont have much of a blood flow and can be broken off at the base. And its not even really broken but rather pop off the base. It will bleed slightly when taken off. A couple of sprays of blucote after would be good. And as Charlie mentioned, they hate them being messed with. Kinda like a loose tooth, it hurts a little when moved and hurts a lot trying to bust em off. The second kind of scur is big and fixed with very little movement. These do have a better blood supply to them and will bleep pretty good when cut back. For these kind I suggest a wire saw. You can choose to trim them back or cut them off at the base. Trimming is usually done about 2-3 inches. Hit and miss if you will start to get into the blood pocket. If you trim to the base, I suggest you have a dis budding iron hot and waiting. But if you are going to do this, might as well have a vet out to put him under or at least "relax" him and go all the way with a good burn afterwords. Do not do this during the summer months as its much easier to get infected.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Hello Dave
I don't have a dis budding iron but I do have forge to heat and bend metal with (horse shoe's primarily)
I can find a good piece of iron to heat up to "Cauterize" any major bleeding with.
Yes, I hot shoe horses from time to time.
Forge is also used for many other metal working projects too.
Thanks for the info
hihobaron