Rendy Vet Check / Hike Day / CAE Testing / Tattooing Offer
Would like to extend an invite to any and everyone to come to here, to the farm, to have Matt the vet, do the vet check on all the goaties who are planned to go to the 2014 NAPgA rendezvous. Ill have to check with matt to see how long the papers are good for to determine the date. But am thinking the first Sunday in either May or June would be as good as any. Matt is tied up Saturdays at the livestock auction in Toppenish. I know Sundays are his home day but am thinking if I can talk him into bringing his prospect as well, he could join us for a hike afterwords.

Curtis brought up having tattoos instead of ear tags. We have the means to tattoo them here but as there will most likely be a little bit of blood from doing them, not sure how everyone would feel about that. So that would be something to discuss on here. Figure $5 fee for tattoos if that sounds fair?

We will be doing one of our bi annual CAE tests on the 24th (next Monday) Feb. So we could offer to do blood draws for anyone who wants to have their goaties tested and send them off to WSU with our shipment. Would charge costs plus say a $20 fee per goat if that sounds reasonable to everyone. This would lighten the mood of tattoos if everyone had current test results.

The actual vet time shouldnt be more then an hour. 2 at the most with paper work. The hike would just be an easy walk. Off the top of my head I can think of a couple places that are nice. There are trails next to the rock quarry near Beaver Bark on the Yakima. Or there are also some ok trails farther down at the mouth of the Yakima on the Columbia river under the highway over pass from Richland to Pasco. The first location has great water access areas to the water. If the weather and Yakima river permits, we might even get some water training in for those that havent but wanna give their goaties a try. OR if anyone else has a great spot they wanna try, feel free to post it.

So if you are interested, please feel free to post yes or whatever you wanna Smile Maybe you just wanna join the hike? Cool. When I get a set time after talking with Matt Ill post it. If no one wants to do it, thats all good as well. No worries.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
I could bring my hay bale scale and we could weigh the goats, too!
Goatberries Happen!
Oh now that is a great idea!!!

Also it wouldnt have to happen here. Could have it anywhere. I just know with Matt coming from Prossor, this would be his shortest drive if he didnt join us for a hike.

Micro chips are another consideration. It is an injection that is quick and bloodless. If your vet had the tools that maybe affordable. The state of Montana accepts that as permanent ID. I should find our if Oregon does also.
That would be cool Nancy. Lots easier then tattoos Smile

(02-22-2014, 08:27 AM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: That would be cool Nancy. Lots easier then tattoos Smile

I LIKE BOTH ! The one is right there to see, and the other an excellent safety. If the tatoo is put in the first week there is little or no blood. This from a large goat dairy In Itamar, Samaria, Israel. They also do both.

Also, if the goat is tatooed early the tatoo actually 'grows' with the ear. Put on plenty of ink and it can be read from a short distance a year later.

Jake

Mikado, MI
UPDATE on Vet Check:

With Curtis coming over today we chatted about the health certificate for the rendy. To be within the 15 days, we are thinking of June 22 (sunday). Aside from church, this is about the most open day that will allow everyone the time for the check and a hike afterwords for those that wanna. I will text Matt tomorrow to make sure he is willing to do the check on a Sunday and to again, invite him to join us for the hike. He does the livestock auctions on Saturdays so if not Sunday, I will line it up for Friday the 21st. Will update his reply tomorrow.

UPDATE on Tattoos:

Thought about offering to do this earlier the same day before Matt came out for the check but technically he is suppose to be able to read the tattoo. Which isnt possible as it is cover in fresh tattoo ink. So figure that we could get another hike in if we all meet up and did the tattoos. OR if you already had em and just wanted to come out for a walk anyways, that would be cool. Would like to give about 2 weeks for the tattoos to set before the vet check date. Will have to check with Curtis as he has a rotating schedule, but thinking a Saturday would be good for that. The Yakima should be good for bass fishing and water training then as well. But will get the check date set and go from there. Anyone who wants to attend, please post with any date suggestions you might have. thanks!

Wish I could get there but I do plan to have both of mine tatooed by then plus micro chipped. Also get the testing done . Whats the timing before travelling for the CAE testing? My local vet does that, plus the microchipping and tatooing, I can see I need to get another tattoo set. Big letters.

It sounds like you have a good day planned Dave. Wish that I was closer.

I might be on the lookout for a place for us in the 3 state area coming and going.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Ya that would be great to have you hear Jake. I dont know about other places bot for WSU / WADDL, samples need to be there by Wednesday so they can set up for testing on Thursday. So we blood draw on Monday, let them set out until they separate, then package and put em in the frig. Then first thing Tuesday we send em over night Fed X. Typically you can call in Monday to get your results and paper work would arrive sometime late that week. WSU also has a full spectrum test called a bio screening. It tests for all the major goat diseases. Am pretty sure those all have the same timeline in term of results.