Boer cross. . .
Some Boers might do alright, but I'd be concerned about the "keeping up" part. Boers tend to be short-legged and stocky and many of them waddle, which is not efficient over long distances. They are strong but generally short on endurance and can be difficult to fit saddles to because of their width and the round shape of their backs combined with a pronounced dip behind the withers. Their waddling gait can give rise to saddle sores because the saddle rolls around as they move.

Looking at the parents, you can see that they are both stocky with short legs. The dam appears higher at the rump than at the withers standing normally. The sire looks level in the photo, but see how he's stretching up on his tip-toes to reach hay. A conformationally ideal packgoat will look noticeably higher in front than in back when he's stretching up like that. A goat that is higher in the rear, especially when combined with wide, rounded withers, is going to have problems with the saddle constantly riding up onto his shoulders where it will chafe.

I think a Boer or mostly Boer cross could be ideal for carrying or pulling heavy loads over short distances, but for the long treks you describe I think I would lean towards a goat that is all or mostly dairy bred so you get the longer legs and straighter back.

Messages In This Thread
Boer cross. . . - by Wordman - 02-02-2016, 12:01 PM
RE: Boer cross. . . - by IdahoNancy - 02-02-2016, 06:20 PM
RE: Boer cross. . . - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 02-02-2016, 09:02 PM
RE: Boer cross. . . - by Wordman - 02-03-2016, 04:33 AM
RE: Boer cross. . . - by Nanno - 02-03-2016, 10:37 AM
RE: Boer cross. . . - by Wordman - 02-03-2016, 01:23 PM