PACKGOAT RESEARCH Needs Your Participation
North American Packgoat Association Invites You
 to Participate in a Packgoat Research Study
To all concerned citizens of the packgoat community: please read the following summary of an ADRU* research project to screen packgoats throughout the United States for pathogens and how you can participate. For packgoats it involves 3 serial nasal swabs and one blood test.
We strongly believe that without packgoat participation in this ADRU project we will continue to lose our access with packgoats on Public Lands. There is little hope without your participation.

Purpose: Collect nasal and eye swabs from packgoats across the United States to screen for presence of Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae and agents associated with “pink eye”.

Justification: Packgoat use on public lands defined as bighorn sheep habitat is being prohibited across the Western United States.  This prohibition is based on the potential that packgoats can carry a primary bacterial agent associated with bighorn sheep pneumonia, and pinkeye. In order to understand the prevalence and distribution of the bacteria of concern as well as to get a significant number of packgoats tested, NAPgA request packgoat owners from across the United States participate.  While this may not directly impact packgoat owners outside of bighorn sheep habitat, the implications of placing limitations on public land use without justification impacts us all by limiting the rights of individuals.  Beyond that, identifying carrier goats and distribution of the pathogens M. ovipneumoniae (Movi), and Chlamydia spp. (pink eye), may lead to future investigations into potential ways to clear reservoir goats of these pathogens.

There are two suggested protocols:
1.     The first is for packgoat owners that use or live in the Western US where bighorn sheep live. This involves 3 consecutive monthly nasal swabs, one blood test, and one eye swab
2.     The second protocol is for packgoats outside of, or never brought into, states that are home to bighorn sheep. This involves a single point nasal swabs, eye swab, and blood test.

Please Note: All costs will be covered by ADRU to perform this prevalence/surveillance study, including veterinary charges (if applicable), supplies, shipping, and testing. All we need at this point are names, address, and number of goats. For questions see attached documents, contact Charlie Jennings, NAPgA President 435-764-1111, or vigilguy@gmail.com . To request copies of sample research documents or to participate email Nancy Clough, NAPgA Member at idahonancy@roadrunner.com 208-699-2702

What will be the outcome of this project?
The end goal will be to publish this M. ovipneumoniae prevalence data in a peer-reviewed journal (possible venues: JAVMA or Small Ruminant Research). This is a good way to not only compile our packgoat data, but to also make it accessible and referenceable for the US Forest Service Land Management Revision Teams who are making decisions to deny access to packgoats on public lands.
*Animal Disease Research Unit-ARS-USDA (Pullman, WA)

Attached Files
.pdf   Research Proposal-Screening packgoats updated 23Jan16.pdf (Size: 40.11 KB / Downloads: 9)
.pdf   Owner Information and Survey and Goat identification form.pdf (Size: 62.5 KB / Downloads: 5)
.pdf   Sample Consent Form for Packgoat Participants.pdf (Size: 40.35 KB / Downloads: 5)
.docx   Frequently Asked Questions rev2.docx (Size: 14.92 KB / Downloads: 3)
We have 72 packgoats with 18 owners signed up for the Packgoat Screening Research Project. There is another list with a NAPgA board member, not sure how many on that list. We need at least 200 packgoats. Send me a note if you are interested in participation.
We definitely would like to participate. We have three wethers and one doe we have used or will use for packing. We are not far at all from bighorn sheep.
Excellent Michael, I will send you a private email as I will need your contact information.
Are there any packgoats outside of the western states that would consider participating in this project? We are still recruiting for this research project in all states but would love to have more central and eastern states represented. We are not only looking for the prevalence the mycoplasm MOVI in packgoats but are very interested in the distribution.
Thank You.
We had 16 goats from 4 farms tested today. The lead Vet and her masters degree student made quick work of testing. We had 16 goats on a hike for 2 hours. The different goat herds did not know each other and it was a blast seeing them all together walking about and playing. It was a sea of goats meandering down an old logging road. The last of the 3 test will be at the Rendy. The last 2 tests are just nasal swabs and she is very fast doing this.
Nancy, I'd love to see photos of the "sea of goats!"

My 7 goats and Otta's 3 will be tested tomorrow evening when Maggie gets to town. Saturday morning she'll do Curtis' 8 and Kirk's 4. We ended up not doing them all at once and doing half on Friday night so Maggie could head out early Saturday after testing and head to the west side of the state for a full day's testing of goats along the way. She's going to be a busy gal!

I believe the last of the 3 tests will be done for all of our goats at the Rendy, also.
Goatberries Happen!
Maggie was here yesterday and it only took her about 5-7 minutes per goat to do the testing! My goodness - she's fast! Now I wait for the results....
Goatberries Happen!
I have three and I live near bighorn sheep areas (Sierra Nevada and Nevada) and if you still need more goats tested please let me know. Probably better to email me because I don't get on the forum here as much as I'd like to. My email is greasydogs@gmail.com Thanks, Cheri
*Saltlick*  Rancho Topaz   
near Topaz Lake, Nevada