A Snowshoe Adventure--With Goats!
Last night we had the first good snow we've had since Thanksgiving and we thought it might be a good opportunity to test out the snowshoes Phil's Aunt Marianne and Uncle Steve gave us last spring. We stayed on our own property so naturally all the goats came with us! 

We only had one set of ski poles, so we each took one . We mostly used them to whack at goats that tailed too closely and trod on our snowshoes. Phil was our fearless leader for most of the outing.  

"You might not want to pull on that, Sputnik!" 

"Shut up. It's not funny!" 

Even though she's only halfway through her pregnancy, Delilah is really looking "in a family way". She thanked me for taking this photo at a flattering angle. We couldn't help but laugh at the trail her belly left in the snow. I'm so glad she was finally able to conceive. She couldn't settle last year and we were so disappointed.  

I volunteered to lead for the second half of the hike. I'm not sure Phil or the goats are going to allow this again. I took us through the brushy part of the woods. But we eventually made it back out, so I can't be too bad a leader.  

oh yes, snow-shoeing is great fun. Sadly we only had one week of snow this year and are back to storm and rain now.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

We had a blizzard today. The fresh powder got thrown around by some very stiff winds. The horses did whatever they wanted-- They scoff at the wind. The goats on the other hand... I saw no tracks in the snow beyond about 5 feet from their houses when I got home today.
Our goats don't generally mind coming out in the snow unless it's driving down pretty hard, and they'll always come out for a walk if they see Phil and I leaving.

Snowshoeing with goats is tricky. We regularly tripped up due to goats stepping on the backs of our snowshoes. Good thing we each carried a pole to catch us! It would be easy to train one or two goats not to step so close, but eight can be a bit of a circus.
Hello Nanno
Snow Shoes with goats around I can see were that could be "Interesting" Smile
Are your legs Sore the next day?
I have used snow shoes several times and like riding a horse when you are out of shape for riding your body tells you about it the next day.
Great pictures BTY.
A question for you.
I do not intend this as a "Mean" Question.
Insect Repellent for Goats?
Can I use the same products I use on my horses and will it be safe for the goats.
I swatted my first two skeeters here last night. In February Sheesh.
Happy Trails
hihobaron
We weren't sore the next day, no. But then, we were only out for 1 1/2 hours or so. Not really long enough to get sore.

I have used both horse and people insect repellents on goats with no problem, but I try to avoid chemical sprays on the goats nowadays because the girls are usually either pregnant or lactating, and I'm milking so I really don't want it on my hands and clothes. But for wethers I've used it no problem. I've also used flea/tick collars on Cuzco with great success. He used to come in covered with ticks, but I never found another one on him after I started using a tick collar. Unfortunately I can't use them on anyone but Cuzco because everyone else seems determined to pull the things off each other or lose them in the scrub brush. Cuzco is the only goat I have who takes care of his things. I think I'm going to try a spot-on repellent for the boys next summer and see how that goes. The girls will have to stick with the all-natural bug repellent products, which usually don't last very long, but at least it's easy to remember to treat them daily since they come in to milk every morning.
Hello Nanno
Thanks for Insect Repellent Info.
I can understand your caution about using insecticides on your PG or milking stock.
I do have some milking experience (Cow) and agree with your caution.
Both my Guys are wethers and not planned as Dinner guest. Smile So No PG worries.
Pack Goats,Brush Chompers, Companion animals and their newest talent Plumber's Helpers. Smile
Will have to find out about if they will not mess with each other's flea and tick collars.
Here is a bit of information back for you and all others.
External Parasites like lice,fleas ect. I use DE (Diatmatiouse Earth) on my horses just "Dressed into the hide and brushed in lightly. Do not know if it works for ticks but I never have puled a tick from any of 5 horses in the years I have used DE on them. they also get it as part of their every day feed in the BP mash I feed.
No Internal Parasites and no fly's around the barn so it works when it comes out the other end too.
It is totally NON-Chemical so parasites can not build up a "Resistance to DE."
With the parasite control for goats I have seen here and on other goat sites, It appears many common chemical control agents do not work very good and the dose rate is very high compared to horses when the using the same chemical.
DE has a down side you have to feed it on a every day basis and it is like talcum power so it needs to be fed either in a wet mash or with a "Sticky" sweet goat feed. I use a wet BP mash for horses here all the time so DE in their(horses) feed is not a "Inhalation" problem.
So far Pete and Sam have not been "Introduced" to DE. they both have been dosed with Ivermectin at 2X the recommended dose for horses.
When I do start DE it will be mixed into a Sweet Feed for the same reasons mentioned above.
DE will not get Blood stream parasites or lung worm type parasites . But will get any egg,larval,or adult intestinal track parasite. DE will get Skin parasites when applied "Externally as a dusting"
I still plan on a Chemical worming program with a blood stream agent (Ivermecten) base or combination.
Moving on:
Some of the items I have mentioned above would be hard to do with a "Herd" situation but would work well for the Hobby Goat Packing person. Call me that "for Now" Smile
I am looking forward to both having fun with my goats and promoting goat usage here on the East Coast.
I have never met a animal I did not like, either for work or on the table. Smile
Happy Trails
hihobaron , Pete and Sam
I use DE too, but not on my goats as it tends to dry their skin out. I tried feeding it to them to see if it helped with worms but they weren't too keen on it (fortunately I have solved the worm issue another way). It is great for keeping lice and spider mites away from the chickens if you dust them (and their nesting boxes) with it every month or so.
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
Lovely pics Nanno, by the way. Sorry - faded off topic with my last post!
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap