Changes in old goats
Hello,

a question for those here that have old goats.

I notice since maybe two weeks that our oldest wether (14 years) spends more and more time standing instead of lying down to rest and/or chew his cud.

I know this behaviour from old horses when they are getting stiff and arthritic but hadn't thought that goats could develop such sever arthritis.

It was also bitterly cold last week, so maybe he was reluctanct to place his belly (he was wearing three layers of coat) onto a cold ground (the warm nests taken by younger goats). This theory sounds more realistic because the weather turned warm again (no longer below freezing) and he rests more.

Would like to hear your observations

Thanks
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

You know, funny you should mention this. I've noticed Cuzco standing up more this winter than usual, even when all the other goats are laying down. Often he stands lightly leaning on something. Recently he's been leaning on the back of my truck with his chin resting on the bumper. He still lays down a lot too, but I have definitely noticed him standing more this winter and wondered about it. I haven't seen him behave differently according to the temperature though.