Pack Buck?
The biggest down-side to using a buck for pack and cart work is the SMELL!! Even the gentlest buck is not a very fun companion animal, and it's embarrassing to introduce him to people and then have them get that stink all over their hands and clothes from petting. I took my young buckling, Finn, around in public his first year before we neutered him because I wanted to begin his training but I also needed him for breeding. He was very young so he wasn't terribly stinky yet, but I really had to warn people to touch at their own risk. The other problem was that if he really liked someone and became too friendly, he would send a powerful spray in their direction. Nothing was safe for a good 3-5 foot radius. Since they can spray so far and since they do it will little or no warning, it can be pretty hazardous.

Even if you never plan to have your working buck near the public, you're still going to run into the problem of having perpetually smelly, greasy equipment. Even when they're not in rut, bucks always have a musky aura, and that oil sticks in their hair forever. It will get all over your harness, panniers, and everything else. That smell is stubborn and I don't expect it would ever truly come out once the equipment was well used. So no, I wouldn't recommend using a buck. But if you decide to try it, certainly let us know how it goes!

Messages In This Thread
Pack Buck? - by Onion-Creek-Oberhaslis - 12-12-2015, 01:40 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by hihobaron - 12-12-2015, 07:02 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by Nanno - 12-12-2015, 08:21 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 12-13-2015, 05:53 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by Onion-Creek-Oberhaslis - 12-13-2015, 09:51 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by Debra - 02-16-2019, 06:53 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by Mike - 03-05-2019, 09:40 PM