Pack Buck?
(12-12-2015, 01:40 PM)Onion-Creek-Oberhaslis Wrote: I have a three year old buck that I am thinking about starting for pack or cart work.  He is also my best breeding buck.  Can breeding bucks be used for packing, or would that be to hard on them and have a negative effect? 

Thanks!

Hello OCO
I have little experience with Buck goats.
But lots of experience with horse stallions and working them in Public.
Because of the nature of a buck goat from what I know, IF they are in RUT and there is a doe in heat you have a major problem.

I have used stallions and believe in "Working" Stallions under all kinds of work. But then with the right training and person handling the stallion they make a excellent working animal. But there are NO short cuts. You get a good working stallion from understanding each other.
I do NOT know goats well enough or your Buck well enough to make a statement. 
Working any STUD animal in public requires a much higher level of training "Obedience" and Experience on your part than any other animal you have ever worked.

Stick to Wethers or a dry nanny for working goats.

Baron Von Black Arabian Stallion competing in Cowboy Mounted Shooting 45 Colt SA Revolvers used and 10 rounds required to score.
He took me to a Championship as well as being a Excellent PR horse for the Arabian Breed.
Your Buck Goat will have that load on him to Represent your Farm and Breed in Public.
Take a Wether is my advice.
Happy Trails
hihobaron

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Pack Buck? - by Onion-Creek-Oberhaslis - 12-12-2015, 01:40 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by hihobaron - 12-12-2015, 07:02 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by Nanno - 12-12-2015, 08:21 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 12-13-2015, 05:53 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by Onion-Creek-Oberhaslis - 12-13-2015, 09:51 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by Debra - 02-16-2019, 06:53 PM
RE: Pack Buck? - by Mike - 03-05-2019, 09:40 PM