a few Questions/concerns
Do any of you have problems with the goats fighting often? our goats seem too get "into" it alot on a hike.... i'm guessing as they get older they will grow out of fighting all the time, too prevent that I do a daisy chain with rope so they all stay in a pack string line.... seems too keep them under control and not fighting as much, make sure if you do it the rope is short in between them or they get tangled and turn around and start head butting the one behind them. And for some reason our goats don't like too follow too much, they always want too be 20 yards in front of us, I have worked with them all summer and never let them go out front but they still do while packing, don't know what too do about that?
Matt
How old are your goats now? Are the intact males or wethers?

Goats following: no, they often don't like that and I've come to terms with letting them walk ahead when the trail allows it. They still pay close attention to me and stop when I stop resp. take the right turns, etc.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

There 18 month old weathers....
Matt
first, I wouldn't pack (as in let them carry loads), yet. They are in my opinion way too young to carry something on their backs.

And then, yes, they are in the middle of puberty. But (!) if there are some in the group that can't work well together (it's the same with people) this won't get better with age.

Right now it's rutting season, too, until end of spring so this can add to your goat's eagerness to fight.

Observe the ones that fight on the trail at home. Do they pick at each other then, too? Can they stand next to each other at the hay. Who gives way to whom? Who will always bully whom? Which goats are resting next to each other or like to keep company.

Depending on how they interact at home - assuming that you bought them and "threw" them together in a herd - you might have to sell some. Also, the youngsters often benefit from the presence of an older, mature wether. Left to themselves, they are a bit young to work out a working hierarchy without help.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Thanks for the input, I agree they are young too carry heavy loads, but I see nothing wrong with light loads.... opinions may very.... I figured it was rutting season since they are rubbing there horns just like every other wild animal this time of year, there decent at home, they all have individual barrel feeders, black is the "boss", bill is 2nd, buck is 3rd and the new baby is prince who is 4th as far as being in charge..... thanks again, didn't figure I had anything too worry about, just thought I would throw out the questions too see if my theories were right,
Matt
18 month old goat should be fine with a small load. I would just through max Wieght on them the first time but that's common since. I have two goats that pick on my other two. They let them know they are boss. I figured they will be fine on the trail

( mine are only 6 months )
Can I move this over to the training section?
Sure
Matt
Thanks! I actually wrote a post about goats barging to the front on the trail a little while back. Maybe there's something in it that will help you out. It's right here:

http://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/sh...p?tid=1137