Feed on the trail
I know one of the good things about goats is they browse for their own food, but do you bring any food/supplements along on extended trips of say one to two weeks?
I bring alfalfa pellets, but I keep them at the truck. If I was off in the wilds for 2 weeks, bringing feed would be more or less impossible. Anything you could carry wouldnt add up to enough to matter over that much time. I've been out in the early spring with little feed around, and I forgot to load my alfalfa. The goats were just fine for a couple nights just browsing on whatever. Apparently even in the February desert there's enough to keep them happy.
I, too, wouldn't bring that much additional feed. Rather plan the trip with more grazing stops and in between one or two rest days.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

We hunt for 2 weeks often in open range country with cattle that have grazed all over. Some areas we camp in are pounded down with little food in our camp area. We can cover 8 or 9 miles a day hiking. My skinny boy concerns me so I always bring grain, black oil sun flower seeds, and orchard grass pellets. It keeps them all strong and they can rest more in camp not foraging for food in the evening. If we get caught in snow or cold weather it worries me less.
On general summer backpack trips I take nothing for them because the pace is different for us than hunting.
What brand are your orchard grass pellets? I've only heard of alfalfa pellets. I'd love to have orchard grass pellets.
Goatberries Happen!
Standlee Premium Western Forage made here in Idaho