Mini Donkey
I happened upon a young mini donkey last week while buying a used tent. for 200 bucks for male mini who looks strong and is good health and mild natured. needs a little humanization but is pretty neat. anyone work with these neat animals or have information. I know they can be packed and if I finally do this I will raise him for travel and wilderness. They really are no bigger than the size of a big goat and are adaptable and tough
Cool Smile Never had any experience with them myself.
My words have power...And so do yours.
My website: https://sydev.us
I raised and trained Donkeys for years.
Google "Silver Aspen Farms". They are great people here in North Idaho and they raise mini donkeys. They are cuties. Not sure they are agile as goats or as fast but I guess that depends on the donkey and the goat. Congrats on your new addition.
I love mini donkeys but I've never owned one. I hear that even a small donkey is often great predator protection. I once saw my neighbor's three mini donkeys drive off a bear.
I have a mini mule named Ajax.

[Image: ajax_sm.jpg]

I've never had a lot of success training him to do much. He just hangs out.
Haha that's a wild looking critter. Idaho Nancy I didn't purchase him but am really thinking on it. As with anything I want to be sure and be ready to really slow down and become completely emursed in a lifestyle where hell apply and be a happy dude. I asked the lady what she thought of them for travel and wilderness wandering and packing and she said he'd probably do great. Would he need shoed?
(10-22-2014, 06:01 PM)Wordman Wrote: Haha that's a wild looking critter. Idaho Nancy I didn't purchase him but am really thinking on it. As with anything I want to be sure and be ready to really slow down and become completely emursed in a lifestyle where hell apply and be a happy dude. I asked the lady what she thought of them for travel and wilderness wandering and packing and she said he'd probably do great. Would he need shoed?

Helllo Wordman
I have had Sicilian donkeys (10 - 12 hands tall) and a couple gated mules. Never packed the mules but talk about CUSHY ride and can cover ground at a flat walk at 8 MPH all day long. Then ask for a run walk and you can get 12-14 MPH and smooth as glass ride.
Moving on:
The donkeys will attach to you almost as good as a goat, you have to "Gain" their respect and they will work well and carry amazing loads.
The also with tell you in no uncertain terms when they have had enough work. They will not let themselves be over worked.
A firm and fair training program and lots of treats when they do good is the way to work with a donkey of any kind.
They need just discipline, and be consistent in your training. It is say if you do a Donkey wrong they will remember and get back at you when you least expect it. 
Feet and agility, donkeys are noted for having very tough feet ,just keep them trimmed and you will very seldom need to put shoes on one when working on the trail.
Agility: They are much better than a horse but not as good as a goat.
I was working in California for the NFS herding goats for brush control.
My two saddle horses (Arabians) and a pack mule all ran barefoot.
We used RF activated shock collars on the goats (25 or so) with the transmitter wire  laid out around the area to graze.
Goat got to close  (5 feet) the collar buzzed them.
Move the grazing area every week or so.
If close to a fire road take the horses and Pack mule down and get fresh supplies brought up by NFS truck.
A couple times there was no good way into area for the truck Just hiking/pack trails.
They had a contractor with 15-20 pack donkeys (Sicilian types) that would pack in drop supplies and go on to next goat camp.
Lead donkey was on a halter rope to guide rest just followed along like a good goat pack string will. It was an impressive sight to see.
At least the donkeys I saw working would walk with a load on at 3-4 miles an hour,slower in steep terrain. I do think they would be faster than Goats.
BTY: There is a very good reason they also go by the name "Rocky Mountain Canneries" When the take the notion to "sing" you can hear them a mile away. They are not quite like goats. Smile

Happy Trails
hihobaron