protecting my goat
How do I  protect my goat from predator at night in the wilderness?
Tie them close to your camp. Keep bells on them at night. If your comfortable with a weapon keep it handy. When we are truck camping we use a portable electric fence. The biggest deal is keeping them close to you in camp. Many predators don't like people.
Depending upon the number you have and what you use to transport them, you could just keep them in your transport at night.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
I usually just high line mine close to where I camp, and I always carry my .357 with me. Although next year I might just carry a heavy duty can of bear spray. To me there is more of a issue with peoples dogs than having to deal with cougars bears or wolves.
(10-07-2015, 05:32 PM)GPW Wrote: I usually just high line mine close to where I camp, and I always carry my .357 with me. Although next year I might just carry a heavy duty can of bear spray. To me there is more of a issue with peoples dogs than having to deal with cougars bears or wolves.

Hello All
Protecting your Livestock on the Trail Be it horses (My Experience) or Goats ( Just starting with them)
High tie close to camp and with goats Bell them. A good Magnum Pistol for in camp or carried close to hand when in the saddle. 
For my goats when on the trail , I have a couple very good High Power Air soft pistols. 
You would need to check your local firearms regulations for details on legal carry in Parks and such.
Here in SC I have a Concealed Weapon Permit and as they have "Conflicting rules" with Open Carry Law.
 It is just easier to carry concealed. If they can not see it they can't complain.
As to my hiking with goats I'll carry one of the air soft guns holstered and covered up. Dog's realy do not like getting shot with a 20 caliber plastic BB at 10-15 feet. If I need something bigger there is a 357 Mag in a shoulder holster. At night and Goat Pack able I have a nice Take Down Rifle that will use 22 Long Rifle/410 shotgun/and 45 Long Colt Pistol ammo,. 
I am not a fan of Dog Dazers, Or Bear spray. If in Bear or here Wild Hog Country it will be my 44 mag pistol teamed up with its matching rifle in the same round.
Happy Trails
Keep Safe
hihobaron
You know, laws are hard to understand sometimes for different land types... BLM, Wilderness, State, etc. I'm not sure they could complain if you carried your gun in 2 pieces with the magazine in a different pocket. At that point its gun parts. If you see a monster coming, it only takes a few seconds to slip the parts together and kazzam, gun. Just something I've wondered about.
It may be a little over done but I carry both bear spray and a gun. One on each side of my pack. They fit in the water bottle pockets on the side. I like the statistics on bear spray (granted they maybe somewhat biased) but I would always want a gun to dispatch a mortally wounded packgoat.
Idaho is heavy wolf country, not sure I would want bear spray on my wolf pelt if the opportunity arose.
Charlie HorseYou know, laws are hard to understand sometimes for different land types... BLM, Wilderness, State, etc.  I'm not sure they could complain if you carried your gun in 2 pieces with the magazine in a different pocket.  At that point its gun parts.  If you see a monster coming, it only takes a few seconds to slip the parts together and kazzam, gun.  Just something I've wondered about.

(01-19-2016, 03:00 PM)Charlie Horse Wrote: You know, laws are hard to understand sometimes for different land types... BLM, Wilderness, State, etc.  I'm not sure they could complain if you carried your gun in 2 pieces with the magazine in a different pocket.  At that point its gun parts.  If you see a monster coming, it only takes a few seconds to slip the parts together and kazzam, gun.  Just something I've wondered about.

Hello CH
Re:Take Down Gun, Keeping Ammo in a separate place ??? Were are you New Jersey /New York??
From What I know of Western Gun Law There is nothing that strict out West. Well California maybe??
Many areas are and have been for years "Required" to be Open Carry.
Any place you pack in to "Hunt" you can carry open.
As far as Putting a Take Down gun together in time to Stop a Monster (4 legged or 2 legs) Even the best one on the market today  Ruger 10/22 Take down, Yes, I have a very wide range of Experience with firearms.
As well as a few years of working with Mounted Police Horses , and Doing Armed Mounted Security myself.
You just Do not have time to "Put a gun together"  You need a functioning gun with in 15 seconds of identifying the threat. A lot of you hunt with a rifle ( I do to) But just think about your reaction time from Spotting a game animal and getting your "SLUNG" Rifle into shooting position. Or Nocking a Arrow.  Wink
Try this at home with your Rifle (Make Sure it is UNLOADED)
From the slung position to shouldered ready to fire and have somebody time you, On their word GO I will bet none of you even myself can do it in 15 seconds.(No Bad Comment intended) and see how long it takes. 
BTY: The above could be a good pre-hunting season practice exercise.  Big Grin (Make Sure it is UNLOADED)

Moving on:
RE: A 22 rifle/pistol will not "Stop" a serious attack , if it is a true wild animal Yes it may chase it off. 
Bigger is always better as long as you have the skills to use it "Accurately"
A Pack Gun that I like well and use as a "Camp" gun is a take down single Shot based on a Break Action shotgun type action.
It has  (2) different and separate barrels One in 22 LR Great for Potting some small Game for dinner.   Big Grin
The other is in 410 shotgun, Yes again mainly for Small game or birds (Grouse, Sage Hen, ETC) but loaded with Buckshot would be a good Camp Defense gun. Another little known fact is the in many 410 shotguns, will shoot 45 Long Colt Pistol Ammo. The one I have dose well with the 255 Grain Bullets and is "Hunting Accurate" to about 50 yards. Good for close in coyotes,dogs,etc. For me I also carry a 45 LC Revolver Same Ammo works in both.
When Mounted I often times carry a 92 Winchester Rifle in 45 LC. Works good on deer at close range and I have 15 rounds to use fast if the need is there. Plus the 45 LC Revolver as a back up. 

Yes, My horse,s are gun Broke to shoot from if needed. At least with the 45's. Do not think I would risk shooting a 30-06 from them Big Grin It would probably be a 8 second ride.
Happy Trails
hihobaron

PS. Taken with 45 Long Colt at 25 feet from horse back. (Self Defense) #2 South Carolina Non-Typical Whitetail

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)