OMG! That Was Fun!
We had to take our goats early and all we had was an unfinished 16 x 24 goat barn to contain them. Before the first week was over they figured out how to escape when we went to visit them. It was just short of a nightmare. before the second week was over I had finished a 20 x 40 fenced in enclosure and tension eased and we began to actually enjoy the boys. I read the thread on lead training and thought it might be a good idea to give it a try so I mentioned it to the Mrs. "Have you lost your mind? let me get the video camera to film you die a slow death trying to get them back in." I loaded a can with some grain and treats and proceeded to open the gate. They came out and immediately went to work on the vegetation. Clearly the treats were no match for the young blackberry canes and tender baby birch trees. After a lot of can shaking I was able to lure them up into the driveway and dole out some treats for a bit. They followed me back to the gate and hung up on the birch till I rang the dinner bell with one of their hog pans I feed them with and in they went. So fun to watch them run! I worry about my neighbors dog that has made it's intentions clear. I'm not going to take them for many more outings till the paint ball gun is charged up and ready.
Way to goSmile What kind of goats do you have? Be sure to share some pics!
Add a sound to the mix...whistle, bell etc that its only associated with you (Your wife or children) only for when want them to come. With in a week or two, they will come running from 5 acres away no matter what...and when one comes running, they all do of course.

In the long run, you be glad you did... & treats will not be necessary.
(07-20-2015, 10:23 PM)TOU Wrote: Add a sound to the mix...whistle, bell etc that its only associated with you (Your wife or children) only for when want them to come. With in a week or two, they will come running from 5 acres away no matter what...and when one comes running, they all do of course.

In the long run, you be glad you did... & treats will not be necessary.

They're Alpines.. I'll post pics soon as I figure out how to do that. Sound seems like a real good idea, Gonna pick up a triangular dinner bell or a cow bell soon. I'm finding that goats are worst than cats when it comes to controlling people. We're so new to these animals and would like to post a story as to how the day goes for feeding. 7 am goats have been locked in for the night and it's morning feeding. There are five goats. I have 16" hog pans I fill with loosened hay (about 3/4 of a chip all together). I mix in a can with four 12 oz. coffee cups of sweet mix a bit of water, AC and shake till mixed. I pour the grain on top of the hay so when they try to eat it it filters down through the hay. I found that feeding them grain alone can cause bodily harm to both goats and their peeps. I place the pans in their pen and let the goats out of lockup. This seems to minimalize caos. in about an hour or so after the morning feeding I toss them two chips of hay. That shuts'em up till the girl gets home when they might get some birch clippings as a treat. about 5 or 6 they get two more chips of hay. later they go to lockup for the evening and the cycle repeats. This sound ok? or they getting too much?