First Tahr hunt with pack goats New Zealand
Hi All
The video link below will get you to my first video. Ive kept this as a private video for interested people because of political concerns in NZ. There is some people who would think i'm damaging the environment taking goats into the mountains. The truth is The pack goats aid conservation by enabling hunters to go deeper into the mountains and shoot and bring out more Tahr. All game animals are seen as pests in NZ by some people. Sorry I didn't manage to get a Tahr on video this time but will try again soon.
My 13 year old son did most the filming and I think he did very well for his first try.
We came home very happy with the goats first trip into this big country. I still have a lot to learn so would appreciate any good advise. My main problem was how to keep the goats dry and warm in a mountain setting with no trees.Still working on that one.
Hope you enjoy. click on link or Copy and paste link below into your browsers URL should open up the video.

Dang, the link won't let me see the video. Congrats on getting out with the goats. I was very intrigued when you talked about doing this. Can't wait to see some pics and videos. Did any animals seem interested in your pack goats?
(06-20-2015, 11:56 PM)nebs Wrote: Dang, the link won't let me see the video. Congrats on getting out with the goats. I was very intrigued when you talked about doing this. Can't wait to see some pics and videos. Did any animals seem interested in your pack goats?

Hi I think I have sorted the problem with youtube, I had to change some settings.
let me no how it goes. Its working fine at my end.
Hard to know how the Tahr will respond, we did spook a bull and nannies but that may not of been the Goats fault.
Video worked for my iphone. Awesome thanks for sharing!!
Great video! I hope you don't mind that I imbedded your video into your post so it shows up right here on the page. If you want me to I can change it back to just a link.

I love the part where the goat tries to cross the creek without dipping his toes in the water and he's balancing on the tiny rock! Big Grin
(06-21-2015, 07:53 AM)Nanno Wrote: Great video! I hope you don't mind that I imbedded your video into your post so it shows up right here on the page. If you want me to I can change it back to just a link.

I love the part where the goat tries to cross the creek without dipping his toes in the water and he's balancing on the tiny rock! Big Grin

Thanks for that, I didant no you could do that. Ill try to get it right next time.
Flyod is so funny to watch, He will go to great lengths to avoid a two inch deep puddle.
He will never cross with the other goats because he thinks he can find a better place.
Video works great now, thanks! Awesome video and your goats look nice and stout. I can tell you have invested in some quality animals and gear. I hope your son gets his tahr next time.
Cool video! looks like steeeeep country, just out of curiosity what elevation were you hunting at?
(06-22-2015, 01:55 PM)GPW Wrote: Cool video! looks like steeeeep country, just out of curiosity what elevation were you hunting at?

HI , we were hunting around 2800 feet on this hunt. being a Island we rise from sea level to mountains very fast. This creates some very steep country but not as high in altitude as you guys would have. We are having some big storms hitting NZ at the moment. This morning the temperatures doped to the coldest in 100 years.
Might stay home this weekend.