Baby goat feeding
They get a trace mineral with selenium. No,they are not getting any ammonium chloride. I have read that some folks put it in with the loose minerals or put it in their water or mix it with a treat and give it to them every day. How much of the alfalfa and beet pulp pellets do I give each kid? What is the best way to give the AC?
(06-09-2015, 05:02 PM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: "hot" refers to the % of protein. Pellets have just 16%. Thats the low end and very safe. I have feed dairy quality alfalfa (20%+) for many years with no issue.

What kind of loose mineral are you feeding and are you giving them ammonium chloride yet?

I only give them a few pellets of the manna when we are out on walks and they come when I call them Smile I bought a bag of goat chow so I have been mixing it with my manna 25%chow 75%manna, but like I said,they only get a nibble when they do good.This is all a bit confusingHuh I was told to use grass pellets instead of loose hay because there is less waste,then I'm told to scrap the grass pellets and use alfalfa pellets. Do I have to use Ammonium Chloride if I don't feed them alfalfa?Most of what I read about UC is that it can be prevented by a grass and browse diet with a loose mineral. I'm not really certain of how much of the beet pulp and grass/alfalfa pellets I should be giving them each,each day,as well as how much and when to give them ammonium chloride. I feel that I'm wasting money on things I don't really need,and that is dumb! Whichever route I go, I can always return the un-open bags Big Grin We have been having some warm temps lately and the boys are only going through a gallon of water per day,at most. Is that enough?
(06-09-2015, 08:52 AM)Nanno Wrote: Your goats are beautiful. The all brown one almost looks like a deer.

I feed alfalfa pellets to my old goat, but no one else gets them except as a little treat from time to time. I've never fed calf manna, so no experience there... sorry. I give grain to my girls but largely avoid it with the boys unless they start to get thin during a growth spurt. I don't have a ton of experience, but don't think an all-natural diet is detrimental to their growth. They may not grow quite as fast up front, but they always seem to catch up. My old Cuzco never got anything but pasture browse in summer and grass hay in winter and he's thirteen years old and going strong. He grew 38" tall and weighs 200 lbs., so I don't think he's stunted. Wink I'm raising all my current boys on just pasture and they are all in good weight with sleek coats, strong hooves, and bright eyes. They'll get alfalfa and grass hay come winter, but nothing but pasture till then. One thing you don't want to do is accidentally make your boys too fat. Too fat is as dangerous to their health as too thin. You should be able to feel ribs but not see them. Don't push the calories unless they look like they actually need them.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Baby goat feeding - by dutch007 - 06-08-2015, 06:21 PM
RE: Baby goat feeding - by Nanno - 06-08-2015, 08:28 PM
RE: Baby goat feeding - by dutch007 - 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM
RE: Baby goat feeding - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 06-09-2015, 06:30 AM
RE: Baby goat feeding - by dutch007 - 06-09-2015, 06:44 AM
RE: Baby goat feeding - by Charlie Horse - 06-09-2015, 06:43 AM
RE: Baby goat feeding - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 06-09-2015, 08:29 AM
RE: Baby goat feeding - by dutch007 - 06-09-2015, 12:31 PM
RE: Baby goat feeding - by Nanno - 06-09-2015, 08:52 AM
RE: Baby goat feeding - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 06-09-2015, 05:02 PM