Spanish goats
Ah poo. That sux. Sad
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
There's one more place a couple hours away I'm still waiting on. There is another site that has a Spanish-kiko buckling for sale but their website is screwed up and only part of it shows up. Weird.
[i]
Charlene in Central Orego
n
[/i]
(01-22-2014, 10:21 PM)nebs Wrote: For the exact same reasons, I have been researching Kiko Alpine crosses. The thing with Kikos is there doesn't seem to be much breed standards. Some are tall, others really short, etc. However they are supposed to be more self reliant, good mothers, and some bloodlines could really add some height and muscle mass. I really liked my ibex theory to accomplish this, but since that can't be done in my state, this is the next best option. I just really like using Alpines as the foundation. Good luck, and keep us posted if you do it!

The Kiko was developed in NZ for a performance goat. I suspect the shorter ones that you have seen are crosses, possibly with Boers. Do a breed search for NZ bred stock and you will see good height on them. Myself I intend to breed to as pure a NZ line as I can find/afford. Using Alpine and/or Boer doelings. I dont want a big herd, maybe 4 does to start, they can reproduce plenty fast. But it gives me a better base to select from.

There is a Kiko herd in NW Or that has some very big bucks, long and tall. I like the weighing and measuring that has been happening at the rondys. I think this can help every herd to select their breeders. I will be measuring my breeders.

I like what I have read about the Spanish Goats, but, as was mentioned they have been developed in warmer climes, as was the Boer, so if I get some Boers to start with I will replace the Boer does with crosses as soon as I can. Here in MI it is just too cold for warm clime animals. We have had around -15 a number of times this winter, it is -6 this morning, with 3-4' of snow. I am looking for some Boer crosses now rather then pure Boer doelings. I know of Alpine and Saanens in our area and they do well. I also like their height and lengths.

Jake

Mikado, MI
(02-03-2014, 07:00 AM)Jake Levi Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 10:21 PM)nebs Wrote: For the exact same reasons, I have been researching Kiko Alpine crosses. The thing with Kikos is there doesn't seem to be much breed standards. Some are tall, others really short, etc. However they are supposed to be more self reliant, good mothers, and some bloodlines could really add some height and muscle mass. I really liked my ibex theory to accomplish this, but since that can't be done in my state, this is the next best option. I just really like using Alpines as the foundation. Good luck, and keep us posted if you do it!

The Kiko was developed in NZ for a performance goat. I suspect the shorter ones that you have seen are crosses, possibly with Boers. Do a breed search for NZ bred stock and you will see good height on them. Myself I intend to breed to as pure a NZ line as I can find/afford. Using Alpine and/or Boer doelings. I dont want a big herd, maybe 4 does to start, they can reproduce plenty fast. But it gives me a better base to select from.

There is a Kiko herd in NW Or that has some very big bucks, long and tall. I like the weighing and measuring that has been happening at the rondys. I think this can help every herd to select their breeders. I will be measuring my breeders.

I like what I have read about the Spanish Goats, but, as was mentioned they have been developed in warmer climes, as was the Boer, so if I get some Boers to start with I will replace the Boer does with crosses as soon as I can. Here in MI it is just too cold for warm clime animals. We have had around -15 a number of times this winter, it is -6 this morning, with 3-4' of snow. I am looking for some Boer crosses now rather then pure Boer doelings. I know of Alpine and Saanens in our area and they do well. I also like their height and lengths.

The link to one of the Kiko ASSNS is : http://www.kikogoats.com/

This is the older one, there is another, even more production oriented.

Jake

Jake

Mikado, MI
You know if you want a cross off a spanish goat you could just get a lamancha. They are the product of breeding from a spanish goat.

(02-03-2014, 07:00 AM)Jake Levi Wrote:

Boers get a very thick fluffy coat when it gets cold, so I wouldn't count them out. If I were the kind of person who slaughters their goats, I'd make rugs out of wethers in their first winter, because that is the softest most warm fur you ever saw, and, being white, it's lovely.

The thing that is hard on Boers is actually damp, as they're not that resistant to worms.
Boers are short and muscular. Not exactly the body style one wants for packing. Not to mention stubborn and on the lower intelligence side. Yes I fully understand there are exceptions but if you go by the norm, this is the truth.

I've checked on both breeds and the owners of Kiko bucks for sale are VERY proud of them. Nice animals but not cost effective for my small operation. My vet has studied both and told me in an extended chat one day that if you go back far enough in their history the Spanish and Kiko both originated from the same source genetics. She recommended to look for the body style you want in either breed and go from there. For me economically that says look at the Spanish. The bucks I've been checking are from Montana and Puget Sound. Winter extreme and summer heat in Montana and chilly, wet, winters in Washington.
[i]
Charlene in Central Orego
n
[/i]
(02-03-2014, 01:10 PM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: Boers are short and muscular. Not exactly the body style one wants for packing. Not to mention stubborn and on the lower intelligence side. Yes I fully understand there are exceptions but if you go by the norm, this is the truth.

I was just responding to the thought about counting Boers out because of the fact that they were bred for the heat.

I can't speak to temperament/smarts, because the only Boers I've known have been my own and I've only had 2 full Boers. One was killed by roaming dogs after Katrina, and the other is the smartest goat I have. Her half-Nubian wether son is very tall and strong. I don't have to lean down at all to kiss him on the nose (but then again, I'm only 5 ft tall).

.jpg   IMAG0154.jpg (Size: 79.49 KB / Downloads: 14)

I'm just starting out and not claiming to be an expert, but I think from my limited experience that Boers should do fine in the cold--probably even better than in the warm, wet South.