Kid Training
I purchased 3 Ober/Alpine cross wethers 1.5 weeks ago. All three are 13 weeks old and were not bottle raised or handled at all before I purchased them. Since bringing them home they will lead around the pasture devour treats from my hands and come running when I say "C'mon guys",but none of them will really let me touch them unless they are eating out of my hand,but not a lot. How does a person get them used to contact? I think I'm on the correct track the way i'm going,but I don't want to have it go on for a long time when there is something I could be doing now. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm completely green in the goat world.
Welcome! It sounds to me like your goats are progressing well considering how short a time you've had them. It's too bad they weren't handled younger, but there's plenty of time for them to learn. Keep feeding them from your hand and see if you can work up to gently scratching them around the horns, cheeks, and chins. Hopefully it won't take them long to stop shying away from your touch. Almost all goats love to be scratched on the back and rump, but they may have to learn that they like it. If you can get them to stand and enjoy a good back scratch, you'll win them over in no time. Good luck!

P.S. Do you mind if I move this thread over to the training section?
What I have found best is to get in an area they feel safe and and comfortable in. Then lay or sit down. The smaller place the better. Get your treats just in case you need them to start. But I found that if a goat is allowed to investigate you. They will start to nibble on your close, stand on you and get used to you. Talk to them calmly so they get to know your voice and associate it with you. Dont press trying to touch them. Let them get comfortable touching you before you start to touch them. Then start with touching their noses and cheeks. Pretty much all babies love a scratch on the cheek and chin.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)