keeping goats fit
(11-29-2015, 10:37 PM)rockman Wrote: HI there, sounds like a good set up to me, I'm shore that would give them a good start. Perhaps a little work out with some weight and a good hill should get them there.

Hello Rock
They run up and down hills all day
I have some ideas to use some old horse gear for light soft packs. 
Something of interest I was doing some shooting around them the other day (22 LR) and they did not spook. Just killing tin cans you know. 
Have some nice small little used parks with trails in them not far away.
Also have invite to bring boys into Tractor Supply local store anytime.
That will be their next public test. 
Might put them in Reindeer Costumes Smile Pete could pass color wise for Reindeer.
Sam on the other hand is black and white belted. Hmmm have to think that one out more.
Elf maybe??
Both are polled so no worry about horns.
Thanks for the reply
Happy Trails
hihobaron.
I also find myself concerned about keeping my goats fit because I hike a lot just with my dogs and it's hard to find the time to get out with the goats, too.  I wish I could walk them all at once but we do have to cross streets and I just don't think I can handle it all by myself!

I do walk my goats leashed around my neighborhood and that is a really great way to get them acclimated to the world outside.  They are now very used to strange dogs, horses, and we are still working on cars. Rolleyes  I have many big wooden spools for them to play on and I love the suggestion about the A-frame ramps.  I will be trying that soon.
(01-01-2016, 07:00 PM)sdgoatlady Wrote: I also find myself concerned about keeping my goats fit because I hike a lot just with my dogs and it's hard to find the time to get out with the goats, too.  I wish I could walk them all at once but we do have to cross streets and I just don't think I can handle it all by myself!

you could start with taking only two goats at once. Make walking calmly on a leash a training exercise and you should find that the goats pick up on that very well.

Or work on a reliable call-back for the goats - they can learn that, too - before you come to the street crossing. Teach them to walk as a packstring (one goat tethered to the next in front, so you will only have one lead rope to keep track off).
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

I second the pack string idea. Sdgoatlady, am I correct in thinking that you only have just the two goats? In that case, a leash splitter might be just the thing. I got one last year and used it all summer and fall so I could walk two goats with just one leash. Worked like a charm. You can either hook it to both goats' halters and put your leash in the center ring if you want to control both goats equally; or you can hook your leash to your lead goat's collar, then hook one end of the splitter to your lead goat's collar and the other end of the splitter to your tail goat's halter. (Hope that made sense.) Dogs can use a splitter too and that way you have fewer leashes to deal with. Having your goats tied together can make things easier even if you unhook your leash and let them follow. That way if there's a spook they can't go bolting in opposite directions. Usually at least one goat will come straight for you, and if you grab him, you've got them both.
I didnt read the entire thread to see if its been suggested or if I already had, but making a small hill or climbing toys is a good way to help with keeping them in shape. Not likely to use it to much during the winter
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(01-02-2016, 08:28 AM)Nanno Wrote: I second the pack string idea. Sdgoatlady, am I correct in thinking that you only have just the two goats? In that case, a leash splitter might be just the thing. I got one last year and used it all summer and fall so I could walk two goats with just one leash. Worked like a charm. You can either hook it to both goats' halters and put your leash in the center ring if you want to control both goats equally; or you can hook your leash to your lead goat's collar, then hook one end of the splitter to your lead goat's collar and the other end of the splitter to your tail goat's halter. (Hope that made sense.) Dogs can use a splitter too and that way you have fewer leashes to deal with. Having your goats tied together can make things easier even if you unhook your leash and let them follow. That way if there's a spook they can't go bolting in opposite directions. Usually at least one goat will come straight for you, and if you grab him, you've got them both.

Thank you for that suggestion.  I actually have 5 goats but only walk the two 6 month olds, so that could work!  I'll give it a try.
Oops... I misstated one sentence. It should read, "Hook your leash to your lead goat's halter, then hook one end of the splitter to your lead goat's collar and the other end of the splitter to your tail goat's halter. Confusing sentence. I wish I had a photo. Smile
(01-02-2016, 06:12 PM)Nanno Wrote: Oops... I misstated one sentence. It should read, "Hook your leash to your lead goat's halter, then hook one end of the splitter to your lead goat's collar and the other end of the splitter to your tail goat's halter. Confusing sentence. I wish I had a photo. Smile

Well said!  I understand perfectly!
Hi again, had some good news, I met the farmer who owns the large paddock next to my house. He has agreed to let me walk my goats in his paddock when ever I wish. I think this would be a good chance to train my five goats to walk tied together.
the tying of the goats for a goat string sounds great, But I know my goats don,t always behave the way Id like when they are over excited. I just have collars on my goats to tie so are halters better?
If someone could spear the time and take a quick video on there phone camera of how they tie and manage there goats I would really appreciate it.
The trouble with being the first to use pack goats in New Zealand is I don't have anyone to learn from. Very much appreciate pack goat central for all the help and good advise I have read from the forums.
well, walking in a packstring is really high art of goat walking. But the exercise alone will be fun and teach you and the goats a lot.

You will spend a lot of time experimenting who walks well behind/in front of who. Take notes which combinations work and which don't.

Halters give you more controll over the head but because of the relatively unstable spine (compared to horses) of goats they can get hurt much easier when struggling against a halter than against a collar. So try, watch and use common sense.

Working a lot with clicker training for about a year, I would train my next packstring something like that:

Teach each goat individually to walk next to me and behind me on a loose lead rope. Teach each goat to walk through lane made from poles layed on the ground (this teaches walking straight from point A to point B). Teach them to walk from one cone to the next cone to a third/fourth, etc. - this gives duration to the behaviour "walk straight".

Take two goats and teach them to stand quietly behind each other. Most likely I would use the pole lane to give the idea of keeping straight. Walk them though the pole lane. Walk them from cone to cone. Observe how this works. Will the second goat struggle, try to overtake the first, butt the first or will the first turn around and threaten no. 2 or try to get away from no. 2, etc.

Repeat with adding goat no. 3, and so on. Change positions in the string as necessary. Praise often for work well done.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]