Planning the New Goatstead
This Spring our plan is to move from our 65 acre rental to the 2.2 acres we actually own. We will be staying in a camper and building as we go, paying cash so the project will be slow and piecemeal, but no mortgage when we are done. I have got the herd down to 7 goats (four packers, two milkers & a buck) and hope to keep it at about 7, although I might keep one of this spring's doelings and make it 8 total, plus the LGD (the area is bad for bear & lions, who have already demonstrated a taste for goat meat). Here is what I have come up with for fencing. Fencing will probably be 7 wire (could have used 4 wire if it wasn't for one escape artist) with a solar electric charger. In the winter when there is snow on the ground and they don't venture far from the barn anyway, the goats will probably be in paddock #1 most of the time. Winter access will be from the main road (gate 4). With goats in paddock #1 gates 2 & 3 can be left open in the winter. In the summer, we can access from the lower road (gate 1) and keep gate 4 shut. By opening or closing gates 2, 3 & 5 the goats can have access to any one or all paddocks. It's not much pasture so I will have to hay them year round, but I am hoping to be able to lease pasture on the adjoining lot to the west. Any suggestions or recommendations? Nothing is final yet but I really have been thinking about the lot layout a bunch and want to get is as close to ideal as possible. The lot is in the bottom of a valley, but gets good sun. Second pic puts the overall lot in better perspective.

Messages In This Thread
Planning the New Goatstead - by SMaxwell - 01-13-2014, 10:34 PM
RE: Planning the New Goatstead - by Phil-O-Rama - 01-14-2014, 09:18 AM
RE: Planning the New Goatstead - by Dodgerdoob - 02-26-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: Planning the New Goatstead - by Nanno - 02-26-2014, 06:56 PM
RE: Planning the New Goatstead - by SMaxwell - 02-27-2014, 06:04 PM
RE: Planning the New Goatstead - by Nanno - 02-27-2014, 10:22 PM
RE: Planning the New Goatstead - by SMaxwell - 03-02-2014, 10:23 PM
RE: Planning the New Goatstead - by Jake Levi - 03-04-2014, 01:05 PM
RE: Planning the New Goatstead - by SMaxwell - 03-04-2014, 08:12 PM