Train Goats to be led
Hello and welcome! I apologize for the delayed response. I've been away from home this past week.

The easiest way to move goats to a new forage area is to shake a bucket of grain at them. Leading goats away from home can be tricky, especially if there is forage along the way to distract them. My goats like to follow me, but they usually see little reason to follow me into an enclosure until bedtime.

My husband and I take our goats for a walk around our property every day, so they are very accustomed to following us. We've always done this since they were kids so we've never had to halter them. It's just part of our routine. For goats whose routine does not involve walking with you every day, I think the grain bucket option might be easiest. However, if you train your lead goat to wear a halter you can move the herd by taking the lead goat and the rest will usually follow.

Training your kids to wear packs is easy. The main thing with our kids is that they are all raised to follow us on daily walks, so walking with us as adults just comes naturally. Then as they get older you can put packs on them and you have packgoats! Smile

Messages In This Thread
Train Goats to be led - by Claire - 06-24-2021, 08:37 PM
RE: Train Goats to be led - by Nanno - 06-27-2021, 08:05 AM