My Lead Goat's Foot Problem-Advice?
Yep half Saanen, half Alpine - both dam and sire are from good ADGA bloodlines so I'm disappointed that this has developed.

re supplements - thanks for the info! I do supplement already with Selenium and E - Replamin Plus weekly which gives a good "jolt" of both, plus extra E softgel weekly, and he gets 2 brazil nuts daily as a treat (high source of Selenium as you probably know.)

MSM - vet and I decided to put him on monthly Adequan injections last fall which is glucosamine, as he already seemed to have "stiffness" issues getting up and down.  My 9 yr old Ober has been doing excellent on Adequan for the last couple of years now.  I too would be interested in what type/dosage of MSM you are trying.  BTW I even tried a short course of Silica recently...  I don't think it did anything...

I also focus on keeping his weight down for less stress on his joints, he'd probably be a 300 lb porker by now if I let him free feed. We jokingly call him "Hoover" as he sucks down feed faster than you can believe.

I appreciate you sharing about Sputnik, that info is very helpful, and I am sorry you are seeing these same types of issues develop too.  That is impressive you had his leg xrayed.  I thought of that myself, but I'm not sure it would change any treatment plan - I'm pretty sure there isn't any goat toe/pastern surgery available! At this point, I've had the last 3 livestock vets in my area retire so my options are limited now, and therefore I also now have no access to close emergency care. Really sucks.

Messages In This Thread
My Lead Goat's Foot Problem-Advice? - by Kat - 08-22-2020, 01:22 PM
RE: My Lead Goat's Foot Problem-Advice? - by Kat - 08-23-2020, 04:40 AM
RE: My Lead Goat's Foot Problem-Advice? - by Kat - 08-23-2020, 08:07 AM
RE: My Lead Goat's Foot Problem-Advice? - by Kat - 08-24-2020, 05:55 AM
RE: My Lead Goat's Foot Problem-Advice? - by Kat - 09-19-2020, 11:14 AM