Goat's toes are pointed inward / crossing -- he can't walk without pain.
Thank you all so much. I appreciate the support very much.

I started applying some hoof builder salve / moisturizer from the feed store to his hoofs to soften them up a bit. I'll probably also do the same for some of the other goats, who all have rather dry, chipped hooves (albeit not as overgrown). I also wrapped his front pasterns with some fabric and vet wrap to take some pressure off of his joints, which seems to be helping him -- he is limping much less and walking about more. So, he's already feeling a bit better.

I need to get some sharper, more nimble nippers before I start trimming. Any recommendations? The only products around here locally are horse and donkey nippers...

Speaking frankly, these goats weren't being cared for sufficiently. However, I'm here spending time with them, looking after them, and they're really showing their appreciation. When I first arrived, they were all a bit distressed and some were downright unruly. Now, they're calm, friendly and a joy to be around. We've even done some training, which a few of them really enjoy.

Yes, the barn & pens are on sandy ground. I'm almost done mending some fencing in a larger pasture with a lot more space and different terrain which they can graze in all day long. At this point, I think that I have enough bond with the herd to walk them more without worrying about them wandering off too much.

I'll let you all know how it goes once I get to trimming. Thanks again.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goat's toes are pointed inward / crossing -- he can't walk without pain. - by sheepslinky - 08-20-2020, 04:08 PM