Goat's toes are pointed inward / crossing -- he can't walk without pain.
Yeah, that goats hoof looks like it hasn't been trimmed, at least not properly, for months in my opinion. Now, it looks like the pen the goat is in consists of very soft ground so the hooves will not wear down at all on their own in that environment. Its unfortunate that the goat's feet haven't been trimmed properly and that the owner may have been misled regarding the goat being trimmed 3 weeks ago but looking on the positive side, I think that there is a lot of hoof that can be removed without harming the goat or making him bleed and I think it is fairly likely that you can at least get him out of severe pain pretty quickly. obviously you can't fix his neurological problems that will always make his one foot require more consistent care and trimming but I think you can help this goat out a lot. Look up some youtube videos of how to properly trim a goats feet and watch them a few times, take your time, even if you have to tackle the trimming multiple times, and you will learn how much you can remove and what a "normal" hoof looks like.

As a first time goat owner, I let my kids born February 2019 go probably 8 months before I HAD to start trimming because I could see that their hoof walls on some of them were curving under and covering the sole of the hoof. They were not nearly as badly curved/covered as the one side of the hoof of the goat in your photos but they were still very overgrown. The hoof on the goat you have there can really be trimmed A LOT. I do think it will make the job much easier and better for the goat to s oak them in warm water before you trim. Thank you for helping out a fellow goat owner and this particular goat.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goat's toes are pointed inward / crossing -- he can't walk without pain. - by CMGifford - 08-19-2020, 07:18 PM