Hail the Queen
Now that Petunia has been gone for a month, Tigerlily is finally stepping up to assume the vacant throne. TinCup took over managerial duties as best she could during the interim, but she is a gentle soul and exists somewhere near the bottom of the pecking order so it was only a matter of time before someone supplanted her. Tigerlily seemed reluctant to take charge until she was absolutely certain that Pet would not be back to put her in her place. In the last week she has taken to bossing and micromanaging the underlings. She's petty and mean right now, but I have a feeling she'll mellow out once she's sure everyone is properly acknowledging her crown. Skeeter (Petunia's 2018 daughter who just turned two) seems to be Tigerlily's main target. I get the feeling that Princess Skeeter thought she would be queen automatically on her mother's passing. She's finding out that it doesn't quite work that way (not unless you're a few years older at any rate!). Tigerlily is now leading the herd to pasture and then back to the pen at night like a true queen. I hope in time she'll follow Pet's excellent example. Those are some big boots to fill!

Cupcake (Petunia's last kid) has had an interesting journey. She was a noisy baby and would cry loudly and often, especially after her brother, Buster Brown, left. But ever since Pet died she has hardly made a peep. I think she was distressed because she knew her mom was sick but there was nothing she could do for her. On Pet's last night when I found her shivering in the shed despite the blanket and the warm night, Cupcake was curled up as close to her mother as she could possibly get. All the other goats were eating supper, but Cupcake skipped the meal to give her mom companionship and warmth. It was one of the sweetest things I've seen, and when I took Petunia into the house that night, I brought Cupcake in with her. We put Petunia down the next day but of course Cupcake didn't see any of that. She kept trying to get into the house because that was the last place she'd seen her mama. On about the third day, Cupcake bolted past me when I opened the door and she ran around the basement calling. When she saw that her mom wasn't there, she stopped looking and has not worried about her ever since.

I was afraid that Cupcake would get beat up once her mother died, but interestingly enough, Sputnik took her under his wing. I can't say he actively protects her, but he lets her eat next to him and share his shed which means no one dares bother her. I have two big hay feeders and Finn and Sputnik generally share one while most of the girls share the other. Pet used to share with the boys because she was the queen. Tigerlily has recently started sharing with the boys now that Pet is gone, but as often as not she gets chased off. Cupcake, on the other hand, rarely eats with the girls. There she is, cute little fluff ball, happily chowing down between towering Finn and Sputnik while everyone else keeps a cautious distance. It's adorable and I'm thrilled that our little orphan has a special place in the herd.

Messages In This Thread
Hail the Queen - by Nanno - 01-08-2020, 02:00 PM
RE: Hail the Queen - by Nanno - 01-08-2020, 09:16 PM
RE: Hail the Queen - by Sanhestar - 01-09-2020, 06:38 AM
RE: Hail the Queen - by Nanno - 01-09-2020, 10:53 AM
RE: Hail the Queen - by Taffy - 01-09-2020, 08:02 PM
RE: Hail the Queen - by Charlie Horse - 01-10-2020, 03:45 PM
RE: Hail the Queen - by Saph - 01-11-2020, 10:34 AM
RE: Hail the Queen - by Sanhestar - 01-12-2020, 01:56 AM
RE: Hail the Queen - by Nanno - 01-14-2020, 12:26 PM
RE: Hail the Queen - by IdahoNancy - 01-20-2020, 08:13 PM
RE: Hail the Queen - by Nanno - 01-21-2020, 07:26 AM