Flighty boy
Well, I decided to keep Topo, although he still has his moments. For awhile I was gaining no ground with Topo. Still flighty and skittish. He is the more dominant of the youngsters and just behind the adults in pecking order.

It wasn't until I lost my string leader to UC did I see a change in Topo's attitude towards me. Which really didn't make sense. Topo and Deecon always seemed to get along well. For whatever reason the shift in the power rankings has givin Topo more confidence. He allows me to pet him briefly, catch and lead. He will never be a goat who wants who wants constant attention, which is perfect in my situation. I am learning that is a more desirable trait especially in camp around the fire.

Another thing I did differently was with my new yearling. My 1.5 year olds are still small enough to get into where Ridge(yearling)gets his food. So daily morning and evening I would pull Ridge out of the pasture and feed him separately. Topo noticed this and had become jealous. It showed in the pasture as he has become more of a bully. One day after taking Ridge out for his special feeding Topo was standing at the gate and not eating. I grabbed a leash and collar walked up to him and put it right on. I was shocked! I thought this is probably a one off thing, but it wasn't. With Topo seeing someone else getting special treatment he wanted in on the action. I have been doing this a few times a week with him and am really gaining a lot of trust.

Between the shift in power rankings and the extra special outside the pasture feeding, Topo has shown great improvement.

Yesterday was awesome, it was the first time I was able to put a saddle on him. He welcomed the saddle just fine maneuvered through brush and negotiated obstacles without hesitation.

I wish I could have a better explanation of how and what I did to overcome his skittish attitude towards me, but there it is. It looks like Topo has made the cut.

Messages In This Thread
Flighty boy - by Stringinit - 12-13-2019, 08:29 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Nanno - 12-13-2019, 09:27 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Sanhestar - 12-14-2019, 01:45 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Stringinit - 12-14-2019, 01:28 PM
RE: Flighty boy - by Nanno - 12-14-2019, 05:58 PM
RE: Flighty boy - by Sanhestar - 12-14-2019, 08:46 PM
RE: Flighty boy - by Stringinit - 12-20-2020, 08:59 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Stringinit - 12-20-2020, 09:01 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Stringinit - 12-20-2020, 09:05 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Charlie Horse - 12-20-2020, 09:32 AM