Flighty boy
I was hoping for some insight on this boy I have had since August. 

I purchased 2 well bred 3 month old Alpine bucklings in August. I picked them up with the both of them being freshly banded. I was told to keep an eye on their testicles to look for signs of irritation and or infection. One of my boys, Topo is his name, started to look like he was having some issues with his band. I had some antibacterial spray I was going to apply to their banded areas. 

So at this point I have had these boys for 2-3 weeks and had gained both of their trust. I was able to grab my boy Able and spray his infected area just fine, Topo was up next. He had other ideas and would not let my approach his rearend at all. A few days had passed it's hot out and there lots of flies. So I grabbed him and swiftly applied some anti bacterial spray as he bellowed and cried out. The whole interaction lasted maybe 10-15 seconds. 

Since then I have not been able to even touch Topo at all. I literally spend hours a week with my goats. I go out in the morning feed time and drink coffee and just hang with the goats giving each goat their personal time with me. 5 of the 6 goats love me except Topo. I treat him and greet him just like all the others, minus the petting. 

Topo is very responsive to his name, comes running to the fence when I get home from work. I reach up and grab a few apples and slice them up for some treats and he happily eats out of my hand. But as soon as I enter their enclosure he becomes a different goat. He's very flighty and always keeps his distance. Meanwhile Able is getting lots of attention as I grab his feet, give him big hugs and just show them I'm happy to see them. 

Its been almost 5 months and I have gained no ground with Topo. I am worried about him teaching Able bad habits. I am considering throwing in the towel with Topo. I would have by now, but he has great conformation and breeding. 

Can anyone recommend any ideas? Is this a trait that he will always have? 

He is going to be a packer and this flighty attitude must be corrected. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Messages In This Thread
Flighty boy - by Stringinit - 12-13-2019, 08:29 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Nanno - 12-13-2019, 09:27 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Sanhestar - 12-14-2019, 01:45 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Stringinit - 12-14-2019, 01:28 PM
RE: Flighty boy - by Nanno - 12-14-2019, 05:58 PM
RE: Flighty boy - by Sanhestar - 12-14-2019, 08:46 PM
RE: Flighty boy - by Stringinit - 12-20-2020, 08:59 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Stringinit - 12-20-2020, 09:01 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Stringinit - 12-20-2020, 09:05 AM
RE: Flighty boy - by Charlie Horse - 12-20-2020, 09:32 AM