GROUP HIKE! -- One Week In The San Rafael Swell

Connie's Bacchus rock found a home with a view, half-way up the reef in his own little cave.  Why am I so sentimental about Bacchus rocks?  Bacchus is alive and well!

I had seen some bright red and neon yellow stained sandstone on the way up, and we made it a goal to visit it on the way down. Nan found a path to that isolated mound, and we eventually arrived.  What a beautiful setting for some pictures!

Who has the biggest smile?  Nano or Sputnik?

I wanted to stay and do Little Wild Horse early Friday morning, but I couldn't get a cell signal even when I drove half way to Green River, so my neighbor wouldn't be feeding the horses that morning. Also, Shelby was zombified and hadn't been eating or drinking enough for my satisfaction, so I went with my instincts and planned on heading home after dark on Thursday.

Phil played on his fiddle, and Taffy gave me a giant bag of her special cookies.  Thanks!  I'm back on my diet now-- They didn't last long despite how huge they were.  (They're legendary)

Everyone else left camp Friday morning.  Later that evening, I could see a giant thunder cell forming in that area.  At night it was strobing with lightning.  Below, the red X is where we camped, so the storm surely passed through.  Our timing was perfecto!

The big storms expected on the weekend never materialized this far south, but I hear Taffy met up with quite the winter storm on the way home to Oregon.   Nano and Phil are still out there on the 2nd leg of their vacation, and I'm sure enjoying the cooler air. 

Thanks to everyone that attended.  People become like family on adventures like this.  Hopefully everyone gets where they're going safely.  Shelby perked back up and Luna is hassling the horses like ever.  We'll have to do this again-- The desert is larger than we can ever explore in a lifetime!
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!

Messages In This Thread
RE: GROUP HIKE! -- One Week In The San Rafael Swell - by Charlie Horse - 09-30-2019, 08:01 AM