Whether or not to Introduce 7 mo. old akbash-pyrenees cross???
Thru a Calif. rescue group, we learned about pups, mix above, about 2 1/2 hrs. drive from us. We were advised to get a.female. Paws, our perfect guardian dog , is about 10 now, still appears in good health but still slowing down a bit, needs a companion to help guard now and one to train when a replacement is needed.

Seems like.rescue groups are.a.bit into overkill, but I thought I would run this by group. Seven-month old pups and mom were dumped on this.guy's property at.2.months. Only exposure to goats and chickens have been thru an adjacent fence. Says they don't show aggression thru fence. Pups bark at neighbor's horses.

This man is even neutering all the pups before.releasing them which is wonderful...save lots money here.

However if you were in our shoes, would you risk a pup that far along on your goats with unknown background/behavior? I suspect this man has done well socializing to people. Just don't know about other critters.

The rescue lady makes it sound like we have to supervise 24/7, leash train, obedience train, etc. or she will be unruly around our goats too. Mind you, she is in CAL and never seen the pups. Our present dog was perfect guardian from day 1 without all this training when he was only 9 weeks old. We very seldom had to intervene for a.little minor pup over-enthusiastic play. And the supervision and intervention she.feels is necessary would be.difficult with all our.other responsibilities. Do you think that much is necessary with our fantastic older dog.breathing down her neck? Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Whether or not to Introduce 7 mo. old akbash-pyrenees cross??? - by blackie's maiden - 11-28-2018, 06:45 PM