DIY easily adjustable goat pack train
Hey Guys,
I wanted to share something I figured out that maybe everyone else is already doing.  Out of my 3 goats only one is really well behaved.  The other two are about 50% of the way there.  The two about 20 yrds out infront and then come back.  It annoys me.  Plus I always feel like they are on the verge of taking off.  We train alot and it has paid off however we still need work, anyway.  So trying to manage those two on leads, 2 small kids and my bow is next to impossible.  So I started looking around the internet to see what other where doing.  I did not find much.  So I stated checking out how mule packers do stuff.  The old school guys quite literally would ty the lead of one mule to the next mule in lines tail.  That gave me the idea of hooking then of each other saddles inline.  Initially I tile the lead from one goats neck collar to the rear cross of the next saw buck.  Tht was a two way fail.  The rear goat had to much leverage fron the neck colar and the rear saw buck had to much left and right movement to stay centerd on the lead goat,  it would just slop off to the side the rear goat pulled on.  So back to the drawing board.So first I baught halters which took away the trail goats leverage.  Then I decided to use the front saw buck cross as the anchor point because it has more pressure on it do to the sinch and rought the rope under the rear saw buck so it stayed inline.  Then I started thinking about being able to adjust the length of the tether from the lead goat to the train goat.  I figure this could be important incase you where movig through a tight space or lots of people so you could really shorten it up, or if you just wanted to stop for a second and let them eat it would have to be longer.  So I used a frictin hitch to accompish this task.  The hitch I chose we use in High Angle and Tree Rescue, its called a Valdotain Tresse or "VT hitch".  Its alot like a Prussick but it only locks up one way and if you pull on it  will unlock its self for easy shortening the relock itself when tension is applied.  Boom!!  Easy roudy, miss behaving goat managment.  It works really well.  I use it for training as well as on the trail.  I can let the guy all go there own thing until one gets brave, then in line we go.  Its all pre rigged on the saddles so all I have to do is snap the goats halter to the next goat, adjust the length to my liki g and we are off.  I attached some pick to try and make the rigging more clear.  If this is all old new to the rest of you my bad.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
DIY easily adjustable goat pack train - by Mike - 04-02-2018, 05:54 PM