Mineral deficiency? Or is it toxicity?
Almost none of the local hay here is fertilized. However, we live in a super-molybdenum rich area. It's in our soil. One thing that is pointed out in several articles is that legumes such as alfalfa absorb and hold more molybdenum than grass, and this should remain true whether it's supplied through fertilizer or though the soil.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm totally against alfalfa now. I think it just goes back to the old adage, "All things in moderation." Just because something is good doesn't necessarily mean more is better. I plan to try feeding mostly grass this winter with 1/3 - 1/4 alfalfa and see how it goes. I may cut the alfalfa out entirely next spring when our pasture starts coming in. Spring was when I really noticed our goats starting to suffer and I think it's because they were already at a tipping point on molybdenum, and when our grass came in it sent them over the toxicity line. I'm also leaving a copper fortified block out now in addition to our regular loose minerals. When I first put the copper block out (along with a regular trace mineral block) the goats wildly preferred the copper one. It's a 50 lb. cattle block and it's over 1/3 gone already. I'm going to make sure to keep one out over the winter because just as molybdenum binds copper, copper binds molybdenum and so getting extra copper into their systems should help prevent molybdenum toxicity.

Messages In This Thread
Mineral deficiency? Or is it toxicity? - by Nanno - 06-06-2017, 01:11 PM
RE: Mineral deficiency? Or is it toxicity? - by Nanno - 08-15-2017, 10:01 AM