Transporting Goats in Truck-Hot Weather
Hello, been lurking for a while on this forum.  I am a new pack goat owner and pretty new to goats (have horse experience.)  For goat transport to trailheads, am thinking about getting a 4x4 truck with 6.5' bed (ex: Toyota Tundra) and would install a tall canopy on it to transport my 2 goats. 

However, I do have a concern about longer trips in the 3-5 hour range to reach a trailhead on rough forest service roads during the heat of summer say 90-100F days. Even with canopy window sliders open not sure how good the ventilation will be inside a canopy - particularly if it is a dark color. I know how I feel without A/C on those days!

Am currently transporting them with my 2 horse trailer and Suburban but that's not going to work well for a lot of the rougher access trailheads we frequent for hiking.  They jump into our small 2wd truck with canopy just fine so that part is done Smile altho we haven't tried a test drive yet! 

The goats: 2 yr old Saanen/Alpine ~ 250 lbs and a 6 yr old Ober ~ 215 lbs - both no horns.

Comments?  Helpful hints?

Thanks for any insight!

Messages In This Thread
Transporting Goats in Truck-Hot Weather - by Kat - 04-11-2017, 07:39 AM