Archery Hunting with Goats *Clearly I need Help*
Hello all,

I am originally from Pennsylvania and have recently moved to Georgia.

A little back history on me:

I pretty much grew up on a dairy farm. I have been around horses and livestock almost all of my life so being around and taking care of animals isnt really an issue for me.

I realize that pack goats will take a lot of work and several years before they will be ready. I have about 50 acres of land. So space for these goats will not be an issue.

I got back from a semi-successful hunting trip into Colorado this season. DIY OTC hunting area. I wont bore you with the details.

I'm about 160 pounds and this season I backpacked in about 5 miles with everything on my back and I decided that was the last time it was going to happen. I have been looking into pack goats for about two years now and have done a ton of research.

I am strongly considering getting 4-6 pack goats (weathers).

I camp lightweight. I have lightweight gear for backpacking. so really I am only going to be using the goats to get meat out and to get that heavy nasty pack off my back. I will carry my bow and wear my day pack with lightweight stuff in it.

I have a few questions/concerns that some of you may be able to help with. I think I have watched just about every single video on the internet when it comes to pack goats . haha

Some people say "Never leave your goats at camp" I guess my question is what are you doing with them when you are hunting? Tying them up? (I have my concrn with them becoming a bear/mountain lion snack). Having them hunt right along side of me seems like it would be a complete disaster as an archery hunter with them making noise the entire time??

Also, I cant really find on the internet just how much a pack goat drinks for water in a day.

If I could have 4 goats that carry 40 pounds each that would be a lot of gear that I wouldn't have to have on my shoulders/back.

I hunt deep in the national forest and I know for sure that there are predators there so I am trying to figure out if goats are really for me or not.

I love Marc Warnke's videos. They have been very helpful.

The real big question and big ticket item to all of this comes in a two part question.

Is it practical to have pack goats to hunt out west when I live 1500 miles away and am only able to hunt two weeks a year?

Will my goats be able to travel that distance in a trailer?

Finally, will my goats who are raised and trained at 1500' Elevation be able to hunt at 10,500 elevation?

I know there is  a lot of information on this forum but these are my major concerns. I just don't want to invest time and money into Packing goats if it just isn't practical.

I really don't want to go the horse/mule/llama route. Those are just too expensive to feed and are not practical for me to own.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I end up with an epic failure and get the kids attached to the goats only to have them as pets for the next 15 years. 

Gary

Messages In This Thread
Archery Hunting with Goats *Clearly I need Help* - by Mallardsx2 - 09-27-2016, 07:18 AM