'nother question. . .Nubian/Alpine
I had the task to re-socialize a lone goat several years ago. He was sold and bought as a youngster (3 months old) and then kept alone, first among cattle, then next to pigs for the next three years. Although daily contact with people he lived on a chain for 90% of his life.

It was heart-breaking to see him struggle in the herd. He didn't know how to browse, to rear up into a tree for the best leaves. The older goats would be merciless towards his "transgressions", he no longer talked "goat" fluently.

Even in deep snow he would keep out of the main shelter, in the lee of a big tree.

Later I was asked if I could take in a goat that had been kept as a horse companion and imprinted onto horses so much that he would jump fences to follow HIS horse when it was taken out for riding and as this horse was sold and he was left behind, he would try to find his herdmate in every horse that went by the paddock/pasture.

Goats have a unique ability to bond with partners outside of their own species and that so deeply that they often loose the ability to be with goats again later in life.

So, please, please, don't keep a single goat. Especially not one that has already a strong bond towards humans by being bottle-raised. His deck of cards is already stacked against him being able to live with other goats. If you keep him from having contact and interaction with goats for much longer, he will bond that strongly towards humans that keeping him out of your life when you must (work, etc.) will cause him mental pain.

They bond as well and AS DEEP as dogs but unless dogs they are too big to live in the house with you 24/7.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Messages In This Thread
'nother question. . .Nubian/Alpine - by Wordman - 02-10-2016, 04:10 PM
RE: 'nother question. . .Nubian/Alpine - by Nanno - 02-10-2016, 06:46 PM
RE: 'nother question. . .Nubian/Alpine - by Nanno - 02-11-2016, 08:45 AM
RE: 'nother question. . .Nubian/Alpine - by Sanhestar - 02-12-2016, 02:26 AM