Domestic small ruminants and bighorn sheep
Saph,  Here are the directions Nancy forwarded to me from Dr. Maggie Highland.  The protocol was written by Dr. Highland.

Instructions for collecting nasal swabs for Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae testing
1. Twist open the cylinder containing the swab (do not touch the end of swab) by firming gripping the colored cap with the “swabbing hand” and holding the tube/cylinder with the other hand.  Some swabs will have 2 swabs within the cylinder attached to the same cap (see images below), just remove and insert both swabs as follows….

2. Gently insert the swab (“cotton end”) deep into the nasal cavity of and twist/move around for approximately 10 seconds.  Insert all the way to the cap that the swabs are attached to.
o Live animals: swab inserts easiest if you keep it along the ventral (toward the lip) aspect of the nasal cavity.  Gentle twisting or slight in and out movements to collect the sample to AVOID CAUSING BLOOD ON SWAB.  If animal is cooperative, both nasal cavities should be swabbed with the same swab to ensure good amount of collection.
o Dead animals: Similar to live animals.  I realize it may be difficult to avoid blood on hunter collected animals, however if there is a side of the nose that is less bloody please swab that side only.  If the trachea is easily accessible (and not terribly bloody inside), you can use a second swab and swab along the wall of the inside of the trachea too and insert into the sample broth tube.  Samples can be collected up to several days following death (sooner is better, but I will test what I can).

3. Snuggly place the swab(s) back down into the plastic cylinder from which it(they) came.  

4. Please clearly label tubes as to indicate the date of collection and the species of animal from which the sample was collected, as well as location (ie. nearest town or reference spot), and animal ID # if applicable.  The area to write on is small, but try to include all information.

5. Place the tube at refrigerator temperature as soon as feasible.  And send in, preferable with an ice pack, for testing ASAP.  If there is a delay in sending beyond a day or 2, sample should be frozen and then shipped on dry ice, if possible

6. Optimally, hands could be washed between animals if concerned about which animal specifically is potentially carrying/shedding the bacteria
If specimens are being shipped to ADRU-ARS-USDA (Maggie Highland), I will provide you with a shipping label for overnight shipping (paid in full).
If samples are being sent elsewhere (ie. Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory), I recommend contacting the laboratory for best sample collection and shipment.

Protocol written by:
Maggie Highland
USDA-ARS-ADRU
3003 ADBF
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-6630
Office phone: 509-335-6327
Goatberries Happen!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Domestic small ruminants and bighorn sheep - by Taffy - 12-07-2015, 10:40 PM