San Rafael Swell & Goblin Valley in Utah
Here you see Nan and Phil ahead of us on a rise, with Temple Mountain in the background. Thats the last remaining rock from that white layer of stone. I have no idea why it remains but because of it being the last of that layer, its also the highest thing around. Its easy to tell where you're at judging by Temple Mountain. Its also where the road comes through the reef so you just cant get lost.

[Image: 150_camp_trailer_01.jpg]

On the road to Goblin Valley, I had to stop and take a picture of the reef head-on. See Wildhorse Window there? And on the left side the exit to Wildhorse Canyon. Looks different from this angle-- its hard to get a feel for the depth.

[Image: 155_camp_reef_01.jpg]

Vincent VanGoat, first goat on Mars!

[Image: 200_goblin_vincent_01.jpg]

I know the goats would have been having more fun if this wasn't the third day. It started to get a bit warm, though it was overcast.

[Image: 210_goblin_larry_01.jpg]

Goats, why arent you climbing up here with me? Lazy critters!
There are many caves here. I never found the big one I had seen last time.

[Image: 220_goblin_cave_01.jpg]

To be the first to explore this planet... but wait... If he's the first, then who is taking the photo?

[Image: 225_goblin_curious_01.jpg]

Shelby GT tried to wedge between some stones he had no business wedging in. Doesnt he know he's got packs? Honestly. By this time I was a little short on patience and kinda didnt react fast to keep him from trying in the first place. By now we had about 19 miles on us. Getting a little frazzled. A shame because this is a crazy planet.

[Image: 230_goblin_legit_01.jpg]

The one thing I didn't like about this planet is that there are some very, VERY large sand worms out in the deep desert.

[Image: 235_goblin_dune_01.jpg]

PS, Taffy gave me a whole bunch of cookies to take home. Sarah and I saw to it that they did not survive the trip.

For those that missed this trip, well, I'm pretty sure I'm doing more of these in the future. Perhaps we'll even kinda make a thing of it every year. Consider it for next year! Thanks to everyone who attended. We had people from WA, ID, CO, and UT, and 9 goats and a dog.

Messages In This Thread
RE: San Rafael Swell & Goblin Valley in Utah - by Charlie Horse - 10-07-2015, 07:59 PM