Help! Lost.2.Goats.to.Severe Diahrea, 3rd in Jepardy
We lost one.about mid March, second about April6, now.a third one showing same severe diahrea. These were all female, looked healthy and diahrea took them down in about 3 days. We are at loss and afraid it will eventually hit our pack goats. Any ideas? What do we do to treat? Should we treat whole herd?

I should add these are all very mature goats, even somewhat elderly but are still fat and healthy before.this happens so quick so hard to believe it could.be coccidiosis. I understood.that generally hits young goats.
I'm so sorry for your losses! If I were to hazard a guess it would be parasites. As for what you do to treat, it really depends on what type of parasite(s) and whether there is any resistance to certain dewormers in your area. I'd strongly recommend getting a fecal done on the goat with diarrhea and on a broad sampling of the others to see what might be lurking in your herd. It's possible for coccidia to attack older goats but you're right that it's a lot less likely. Usually by that point their bodies have developed a certain resistance to coccidia, so illness, injury, pregnancy/delivery, or some other stressor would usually have to trigger a bloom. However, if you get a fecal done anyway, it would be important to rule out coccidiosis. I hope you figure out what's going on!
One of my does had very similar symptoms. She had severe diarrhea and was on her last legs just 1 day into her bout. I crushed some activated charcoal and loaded a syringe with water and squirted it down her throat. I followed up with another 12 hours later. She gradually got better.

This was from feeding her too much grape vine.

I have noticed when my inlaws come to visit they feel like the goats can eat anything and I have caught them feeding them stuff they should not eat. Something to be aware of.

I hope you find the culprit.
Man. I dont know, but "thoughts and prayers".

Perhaps try "the goat spot" forum?
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
I'm SO sorry for your losses! My first thought would be parasites but for them to go downhill so quickly they must have severely dehydrated. Definitely have a fecal done ASAP. Are there any new plants coming up in your pasture? Could their water have gotten contaminated? I'd talk with your vet and have a necropsy done if possible. Hugs to both of you.
Goatberries Happen!
A new plant in their diet is a really good suggestion. This is the time of year when new things sprout, and every year is a little different because of weather patterns. I have some years when selenium reaches toxic levels in my pasture, and some years the locoweed, or the gumweed, or the pigweed is really prevalent while other years we see hardly any. It's definitely something to look into. Your local extension agency may be able to help identify possible toxic plants, and if a certain plant is unusually prevalent this year they'll have probably heard about it from local farmers.
Tonight our precious Blackie is in a bad way. Yesterday he was fine, no signs of diahrea, nothing. Tonight he is in a heap and groaning. i just hope and pray he lasts long enough to make the 76 mile trip to the vet in the morning. Castello and Sprite also showing signs. The female.seems to be doing ok today except no return of appetite. Prayers appreciated.
Oh Connie, I am sending you so many strong thoughts for your dear Blackie. You are doing the best you can. Hoping for a positive outcome--Irene
(04-11-2022, 07:30 PM)blackie's maiden Wrote: Tonight our precious Blackie is in a bad way. Yesterday he was fine, no signs of diahrea, nothing. Tonight he is in a heap and groaning. i just hope and pray he lasts long enough to make the 76 mile trip to the vet in the morning. Castello and Sprite also showing signs. The female.seems to be doing ok today except no return of appetite. Prayers appreciated.

I'm so sorry to hear about Blackie! This really does seem like some kind of toxicity. Do you have activated charcoal you could give him? Or milk of magnesia? If you have banamine that could also help. It not only relieves pain, it also helps prevent the gut from absorbing toxins (I believe). I hope he pulls through for you!
There's also the possibility of a bacterial infection. Have you taken any temperatures? Can you separate the sick ones from the others? Since this seems to be affecting so many goats in your herd, would it be possible to find a vet in your area who will do a farm call? They may even be able to identify something on your premises that helps them figure out what's going on. I believe banamine can help prevent bacterial buildup in the gut, so if you have some I think it might be a good idea to give a dose to all the goats that are showing symptoms.

I'm so sorry you're going through this and I hope you get some answers very quickly!