Two new recruits
Video 
Back when we did the Rendy in Colorado, some hippies showed up with 2 baby goats for sale.  They were very 'in to organic food'.  I bought one for 100 bucks, who then followed us up to the top of Mt Uncompogre the next day!  His name is Barry Goatalo.  His mom was 1/2 Alpine, 1/2 Nubian, and his dad was an Alpine.  

This spring I called up the hippies to see if they had any babies, since I was very impressed with Gotalo's size and build.  No, but they were expecting some to be born soon.  The dad had been sold, and they were using a Toggenberg buck this time.  The mom was huge and the tog was big for that breed, so I said I'd see what they had when the time came.

The mom had triplets, and 2 of them were boys.  I was expecting to deal with the idea of buying one of them in a couple months when they could be weaned.  The hippies really wanted to have me pick them up immediately though.  What a good plan that was-- For them!  My brother and I drove out to their compound/commune, which was pretty awesome, sitting in the red rock in Colorado not far from Moab UT.   The black kid was bigger, but the brown one had more personality and was more athletic looking.  In the end I just took them both.  They cost 75 bucks each.  Cheap, eh?  Well here's where the hippies made out like bandits.  I ended up buying several hundred worth of high priced milk from them over the next couple months, because they really hated the idea of formula and kinda pressured me!  Hahah.  Ah well, they need to make a living out there.   My brother did some other business with them LOL.  Hippies and their organic produce!

The brown one is named Felix, and the black one is named Oscar.  Super sweet bottle babies and more or less bulletproof.  Even the hose doesn't scare them.  They've been on many hikes and love it.  Sure enough the brown one is more athletic and while slightly shorter, he's got a lighter build and loves climbing rocks.  The black one is sweeter and a bit heavier, and once he didn't have the confidence to climb a smooth sandstone cliff.   His brother did it several times and I could tell it was a show off.  They're best friends for now, and share food and living space.  They just got a new goat house built and also just got fixed yesterday.  They're doing well and I think they'll be back on the trail soon.

I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
There's not much cuter than a baby goat! You're getting quite a gaggle of goats!
Goatberries Happen!
Very awesome!
I love the white markings on their front legs!
Those markings are to make sure I can see that they're working hard enough when I look behind me.

They're recovering very well indeed. I'm keeping them separated from the other goats for a few days, and the cold cold weather is keeping the flies down, so its turning out that the timing of their operation was perfect.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
Oh so cute. My fave is the back with those contrasting white upright ears. He really knows how to work those ears to look even cuter

Me, the dog Luna, Shelby GT, and the two new recruits, Oscar and Felix did a couple hikes last week.  

The first hike was Entrada Sandstone called the "Red Ledges".  As you can see, it really is ledges covered with black shiny obsidian looking pebbles.  

The second hike was Devil's Canyon.  These were easy going hikes and we were back by lunch.