Poisonous Plants near Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson Question
Hello!

I am planning a backpacking trip and am trying to decide whether to go to Mt. Hood or Mt. Jefferson (in Oregon). I am wondering if anyone who has been to either of these wilderness areas has any knowledge of the poisonous plants in either area. I am particularly concerned with rhododendrons, because those are common in some other Oregon wilderness areas. 
Additionally, if anyone has general advice on how to keep goats safe from poisonous plants when visiting an area for the first time, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I don't know anything about poisonous plants in your area, but if you know they'll be in the areas where you hike, plan to bring a box of activated charcoal with you (the powder kind, not the fish tank kind). I bought some on Amazon. You mix it with water and give it so a sick goat. Make sure to bring a drench syringe with you so you can get it down them. We've had a couple of episodes here where a goat got into something poisonous and started barfing. I gave them an activated charcoal and they got better very quickly. Charcoal absorbs the toxins.

Get a photo booklet of poisonous plants in your area if you can and carry it with you on the trail. If you encounter a patch of something bad, put your goats on a leash and walk them past quickly. Make sure your camping area is safe. I know some people use muzzles in places where there are a lot of poisonous weeds, but hopefully your trail won't be that treacherous. Make sure to feed your goats well that morning and in the trailer on the way to the trail. Having an already-full stomach discourages gorging. If the trailhead area is free of poisonous weeds, let your goats spend their time browsing before you head out. If your goats have access to fresh browse at home they will be less likely to go crazy on fresh plants along the trail because it won't be a special treat for them. Goats who are used to browsing at home tend not to choose poisonous plants, and if they do, they don't usually gorge on them to the point of endangering themselves. Good luck!
I have not personally hiked in that area, but if you do happen to camp near a lake, keep an eye out for bog laurel, it is fairly common in the Pacific Northwest.

Like Nanno, I have also heard of folks that put muzzles on their goats, to prevent them from browsing in certain areas...looks like they are available on Amazon.
Goat Muzzle
Bog Laurel

.jpg   Ledum_groenlandicum.jpg (Size: 23.24 KB / Downloads: 24)
Nano has some good general pointers.

There are rhododendron near Mt. Hood.  A town on highway 26 is named Rhododendron for a good reason.  I've hiked in both areas, but that was 40 years ago, pre pack goats.  Just know what the wild rhododendron looks like and don't stop, let them browse there.  A few leaves have not bothered my guys...but certainly more could be bad news!  

Wild rhododendron tend to grow in some areas/situations and not others.  So, you either have to have very good info on the specific trail (been there), or be prepared to adapt to what you see.  Some  areas you may see lots of rhododendron, others areas absolutely none.
Thanks for all the tips! I bought muzzles just in case, and I'm also going to bring activated charcoal.

I really appreciate the advice!